Thursday, December 3, 2009

YES, Yes!!!!

http://mitkadem.homestead.com/files/yes_1970s_withhowe_lineup_photo.jpg

As long as I could remember I was a yes fan. It was the loud drums of Bill Bruford and cool organ of Tony Kaye and the heavy and identifiable bass of Chris Squire. The beautiful voice of Jon Anderson and the great Steve Howe on Guitar was the first thing I heard. I think it was "Starship Trooper" was the first song I heard. It was a song always on the radio. I am sure it was over played like everything else, but it was not over played enough because of it's length. The song had catchy organ parts and the end of the song had an awesome guitar solo.

I liked Yes about the same time I loved King Crimson. Yes was the band that was fun, what I did not know was the inner turmoil on how to create what they did. Bill Bruford mentioned in his biography and also on video how Yes was had an never ending debate on how the song should go. He even mentioned how they tried to be King Crimson. They were even scared of them. They said they thought that King Crimson was the best band in the world.

Both King Crimson and Yes had one thing going for them. They were both on Atlantic Records. Atlantic Records had everybody and was the best label to be on in the 70's. Yes might be a shadow behind King Crimson, but they kept paces with KC. Bill eventually left Yes to join KC.


http://blog.iso50.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/31-yeskeysspare-jpg.jpg

Yes, is got some great music and none more to me evident is The Yes Album. This album was the make or break album for them. If they did not do anything Atlantic would have dropped them. The Yes Album is a wonderful mix of Progressive Rock, Classic Rock and Psychedelic Rock. There is wonderful guitar playing by Steve Howe.



What makes the album shine is the mix of all this and a few hits. It's not overly commercial, but an album that stood as their big break. Yes is wonderful and a person starting into the Classic Rock would love it.

I remember when I was really into Yes and I had a friend drive me the day the Yes Box Set came out so I can pick it up. He kept on telling me that some hip-hop thing was much more important then what I was getting. He thought the retail price of this Yes Box Set was way over priced and as he put it "Four cassette's is not as cool as one important one." Needless to say I have not been that person's friend.

http://cdn.7static.com/static/img/sleeveart/00/000/131/0000013126_350.jpg

If you are in the mood for a great album from Yes! You have it right here. It was the start of their popularity and the fame. It is an album you play again and again. Yes in their prime might have kicked everyone's butt. Enjoy the uniqueness of a classic album.

No comments:

Post a Comment