Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Mission of Fucking Burma



I was watching the documentary that I own on Mission of Burma and my draw just dropped on how much they mean so much to me. I watch these guys on the DVD and told my friend I have seen them about a dozen times. I told my friend that every time I see them it's an adventure. The adventure is watching what the hell is going on. Three people making so much great noise.

They were so ahead of their time, people still are wondering what they did back in the late 70's and early 80's. I mean they only made one album, an EP and a few singles and then they did not get back together until 2004. I wish I could go back in time in 1982 and be a fan then. I know I would have loved to seen them at there somewhat popularity.

http://www.berkshirefinearts.com/uploadedImages/articles/68_Mission-of-Burma-at-772863.jpg

I was not a Mission of Burma fan till I was in my last year of High School. It happened by accident actually. I used to work on Saturdays with this co-worker. He would always go out for lunch. He asked me one day if I would like to join him. He knew a lot about music, and I trusted his ear. He too had a collection of tapes in his car. One day on the way to lunch I was looking through his tapes. I saw this Mission of Burma tape. I had no idea who they were. I asked questions. He told me that Mission of Burma was a rock trio that was way ahead of their time. There was guitar, bass and drum. He told me also that Mission of Burma was around in the late 1970's and early 80's and broke up, but they managed to make one album and a few singles and an EP.

The album I had in my hands was almost a best of, but included some live material and some stuff not around. He told me to put it in the tape deck. I was so amazed what was coming out of those speakers. It was loud and complex and most of all it was awesome. Sadly we only had a five minute drive back and forth from lunch so I did not get to hear it all. Then he told me to borrow the tape for the weekend judge for myself.

When I gave him back the tape I looked at him and told him that the tape was hot, so watch out. I was quite impressed with what I heard. The gruff textures of "Weatherbox" and the unique delay of "Trem Two" make an easy case on how great they were. While together Mission of Burma never felt like an 80's band. A note, that this band sounds like they just came out. They are geniuses. The crisp bass lines of "Laugh the World Away" and the crunchy guitar make it sound it's from another planet.

http://musicangle.com/upload_images/AlbumCovers/MissonofBurmavs.jpg

If you listen to the middle passage of "Weatherbox" you can see what really has impressed me. It has a quirky delay and spaceship quality to it and then the vocal harmony's completely throw you for a great loop. The album is a classic, but you know just one listen can tell you that. It has some of the most intelligent and innovative stuff ever heard. You kinda forget that this album is from 1982. If you need to impress your friends with a timeless album that has lots of crunch and grit then you should get it. I mean in high school, no one had any idea what I was listening to with this album. I am glad it was my secret.

"Every man thinks he does what he can
Then he...?and he's holding the weatherbox
Every night...?
Then he...?and he's holding the weatherbox
Holding the weatherbox
Holding the weatherbox
Sun is falling down
Sky is falling down
Seasons falling down
Air is falling down
Falling...
The air is round and the world is flat
And everything is clearly impossible
Clearly impossible
Inside the weatherbox"

1 comment:

  1. i picked this up over the weekend and listened to it on the way in to work this morning. i had no idea what to expect and that helped. hearing all the parts clash together and times, become coherent and then keep clashing was awesome. i'm going to need to listen to this a few more times, but i can see how so many bands found this inspiring. there is nothing conventional about it, just noise and clever lyrics. you can really hear Fugazi and others in this album. slowly, i'm starting to fill out my collection with 'classics' it is just taking time.

    -Fizz

    ReplyDelete