Friday, December 18, 2009

How Can You Be So Skinny and Live So Fat

http://www.herohill.com/images/BeastieBoys.jpg

To be honest, I really think the Beastie Boys should run this planet. I mean you have the peace of the Buddhist and street savvy of three guys from New York City. Who would mess with them, come on really!!! Beastie Boys are great, they are one of the reasons I got into music, because I wanted to have a band like the way they played on Check Your Head.

With 20 songs on the album, it's chock full of amazing pieces of funk, soul, R&B and Hip-Hop. I mean I have seen them about half a dozen times and every time I saw them it was more and more awesome. I even saw them when they debuted this in support for the Rollins Band. They could do no wrong.

http://www.officethug.com/blog/images/ot_blog-beastie_boys.jpg

I listen to this album too many times and never get tired of it. I even try to find where they get the samples from. These samples are so crazy, you have to scratch your head to really find out where they came from. The even sample Bob Dylan, Cheap Trick, and Jimi Hendrix just to name a few. This album even covers ground with a small little return to their roots of hardcore. It maybe the best thing I heard back in 1992. You even hear them unplug the guitar and the bass.

This album makes you feel like that fly on the wall watching them create this masterpiece. The crunch of the Bass, Guitar and Drums and let me tell you the organ is the best. The organ is crisp, clear and a joy to the ear. I am sure they had some great times. Even the cover has that Three Wise Monkey attitude to it.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3542/3401053618_17d81fbe0e.jpg

I remember when I picked this up on tape. I told the guy behind the counter that I will play this until it breaks. I will be back for another. This album ruled my tape deck in my car. It was not until my second stint at college I got a copy of this album on record. I was in Washington D.C. in the early 90's picking up all the 12 inches from this album so to have this on record was a treat. I still enjoy is putting on these records and remember how much fun it was when I got these for the very first time.

http://independancas.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/beastieboys.jpg

If you don't have this album, I encourage you to get it. If you do, play loud and play it proud. It maybe one of the most important albums of the 1990's, but if you listen closely you can really hear how ahead the Beastie Boys were. It might be one of the best things for you. Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

  1. Graditude might be the best song on the album. I saw the video and how it was filmed in Pompeii, I've been to Pompeii and that was incredible.


    - Fizz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see the BBs appreciated. :) Concur wholeheartedly. How CAN the maestro be so skinny but live so phat???

    ReplyDelete