Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A debt to Johnny Allen Hendrix

http://jamorama.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/hendrixPA1609_468x513.jpg

When I was a teenager I was trying to explore what to listen to and what not to listen to. The part of what not to listen to was easy. Most of the music on the radio at the time of this age was crap. The popular music of the time I virtually ignored. I even got in arguments with my classmates who thought I was unpopular for listening to classic rock. Looking back I realized I was right and they were wrong. I mean serious where are some of these acts that were so popular then and where are they now. I mean Boys II Men, C&C Music Factory, and New Kids On The Block. Who really cares about them, not me.

So when I would go to the record store, like I did every week I would find something to listen to. I had one Hendrix album and I wanted more. So floored by Electric Ladyland I picked up a copy of Axis: Bold as Love. I grabbed the tape and said to myself I hope this good. The only thing that they played on the radio was "Spanish Castle Magic" and I liked that. Somehow the radio knew I bought Axis: Bold as Love, because they started playing other songs from the album.

http://www.glogster.com/media/2/4/17/63/4176380.jpg

I put the tape in my Walkman and would go to class. Back in my day you were aloud to have them in school. You could even use them in study hall as long as the music was not loud enough to disturb your classmates. This is what started the teasing. I would put something on. It could have been basically anything that could have started the interaction, but this time the antagonist was fed up with me playing "the not cool stuff."

This time I spoke up and almost got a fat lip too. I told this person that Hendrix was cooler then your Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch. The person did not like what I had to say and almost clocked me one. I just laughed and walked away. My friends at the time thought it was funny that this person made such a big deal. I on the other hand had Hendrix on my side and a little more smarts.

Hendrix never failed me. It stood up for me in more ways then one. Unlike the crap that was around when I was in school, Hendrix lasted longer then that crap. People who listen to that stuff then, still listen to the crap now and still have not grown up. Hendrix is talked about in virtually any good music conversation and the crap is laughed at and questioned for being listened to.

http://imagecache5.art.com/p/LRG/8/849/FJNY000Z/jimi-hendrix.jpg

In the terms of what Hendrix did is indescribable. His music crosses many rivers in music and opened my eyes to everything. He not only gave the guitar the voice, but he also crossed many genres of music and made a connection every time. I know for a fact if there was no Hendrix, the music would never be the same. He has crossed genres like Heavy Metal, Blues, Jazz, Rock and Roll and others.

Why did I pick this album?? I picked this because not many people talk about this album in the same breath as his others. Yes, they are great, but Axis: Bold as Love has the little gems that stick to you like super glue. One of those gems is "If 6 Was 9." The first time I heard that song, I was floored. How can a song like that exist. There is elements of Jazz and Psychedelic, Spoken Word, and how the hell does he make that sound near the end at the 4 and half minute marker that sounds who knows.

Another gem is "Castles Made of Sand." What a wonderful piece of music that is. It might one of the best songs he has ever written. Where did he get these ideas for music. I mean late 1967 was full of a lot of adventurous music. Last gem among all of the songs; "You Got Me Floatin'." This song has backwards guitar and shifting to make your head spin.


http://60sfurther.com/Gilbert2/JIMI-HENDRIX-4-NYC-th.jpg

Hendrix was great at what he does, and this album proves it. He proved to the world he could stay here longer then the 15 minutes. He is one of my favorite musicians and made me listen to a lot more then I could ever imagine. I am not going to tell you to get this one, if you like music like I do, you already own it. I do suggest you renew your listen to this album. It is an amazing piece of work. Hendrix where ever you are....Thanks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment