Monday, December 21, 2009

All Things Do Pass

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/08_01/georgeMS0408_468x655.jpg

When I first started collecting records I was looking for Beatles albums. My father only had one Beatles album in his collection and even that was not even enough to satisfy my taste. The collection called 20 Greatest Hits was not even scratching the surface of what I wanted to hear. I went to tag sales looking for more Beatles albums. I even asked family members if they would part with some of their Beatles and all I got was an answer that was firm and honest "NO."

I bought tapes of the Beatles, but even then I wanted to say I want to own them on record. My first ever Beatles album was Magical Mystery Tour. That fell in my lap. I saw it for a dollar and was happy I finally owned one. Then it was like an avalanche I got Sgt. Pepper and then Rubber Soul, and then Abbey Road and the two greatest hits albums the blue and the red as people call it. The one day I saw All Things Must Pass by George Harrison. My world had just changed.

http://www.takegreatpictures.com/content/images/george_harrison_kermit.jpg

The Box was not in the greatest shape, but the records and the were in awesome shape as well as the sleeves and it included a poster. The man who I was going to buy this from told me he would take $10.00 for it. It had 3 records and a poster and I gave him the money. I quickly went home and put it on the turntable. When I looked at the records I was in awe on how everything was packaged. I thought for a bit this was some lavish box with George Harrison songs that he saved up while he was in the Beatles and was not able to record (which is now true). I also noticed the cast of musicians on it. It had Billy Preston, Eric Clapton, Gary Brooker (Procol Harum), Ringo Starr, Dave Mason and Alan White. I was really impressed.

With three albums this was going to take all day for me to digest. I liked the song he did on MTV and was ready to go through this box. I was impressed by how full the production of the album was. This album confirmed that my favorite Beatle was George Harrison. The album was full of surprises on every song. It had a fun feel, yet you knew there was a lot of hard work. I wanted to record it and put in my Walkman. A friend told me that his father had it on tape and barely listened to it and he would give it to me. I got it from him, and for about a month I played it to death. I was picking favorites on the tape and replaying them.

I finally realized how great this album was. Every song was a keeper. "Beware of Darkness" is a song that everyone should learn. There was no bad song on the album. I do have my favorites that I play more often though. One of those songs is "Wah-Wah." I think it's one of Harrison's best written songs. It's sound feels like there is about 20 people in the studio with him. Another song is what was the single from the album, "My Sweet Lord." The song is a good catchy riff that you will remember. Other classics include the title track and also I love "What is Life", because that too is a very catchy song.

http://www.morrisonhotelgallery.com/images/medium/feinstein-53.jpg

When I listened to this album, I always wondered how much more could George Harrison write. He was the coolest person in the world. He made me proud to say "George Harrison is my Favorite Beatle." I think what stands this apart from other albums is the way George Harrison really makes a case for his song writing. He even makes a Bob Dylan song sound like his own. He truly is a talent. If I could turn back the clock to see how his album was made I surely would have seen a man who knew how to do it right. He was serious and funny, but he knew more then most. I mean I even heard that he sent a letter to the BBC to keep Monty Python on the air.

Enjoy a giant classic, and when your done I am sure you will put this at the top of your post-Beatles albums. This is not a one sitting album. It takes a lot of work to listen to, and the rewards are rich and full of fun. If you want to start your Beatle solo album collection, then get this is the one.

No comments:

Post a Comment