Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Not So Broken

http://www.herbgreenefoto.com/gallery/procol_harum/procolharum.jpg

I had a teacher in high school who was not your typical teacher. He taught science and electronics and was proud to say he avoided mainstream music, media, television, or film. He was also not typical in handing out grades. He would never fail anyone (and never did in his 28 years teaching) and you started with the grade of C and worked your way up. You could never go down in grade.

One day he came up to me and asked him to help out the students in his science class that were having problems. This was a basic level class and since I passed his class with flying colors he wanted me to as he put it "help the disadvantaged youth" and get them to understand the concept he was teaching. He also handed me a couple posters and a sticker set. He told me there will be more to follow as soon as he finds them. When I opened it up to see they were two Pink Floyd posters and the sticker set from Dark Side of the Moon I was in joy. I put them in my bag and later that day we discussed music. He told me that these were his sons and I should have them because of my Pink Floyd shirt would make a matching set with items he gave me. I asked him if he was a Pink Floyd fan, he again told me that the only thing that redeems Pink Floyd to him was Syd Barrett and the organ playing of Richard Wright. He told me that the only pop song he is fond of is "Whiter Shade of Pale." He told me he is a collector of that song and if I find any versions of that song to pick it up for him.

One day he stopped me in the hallway and asked if I had a free Saturday morning. I told him name the time and I can meet up. He commented back to me that he will be at my house at 9am sharp and we are going north to go look at books and music. He told me to bring enough money for the books and music, but the food was free, and on him. He told me that he knows this great Mexican place that as he put it wants to be buried under the salsa table. I asked him if I can bring any music for the road. He insisted that the music will be our words talking to each other so, none was needed.

http://janetcharltonshollywood.com/images/procol%20harum.jpg

On our trip I asked him about Procol Harum and with great joy he told me how they changed his life in so many ways. He told me about his connection with Gary Brooker the man who played the signature organ on "Whiter Shade of Pale" must have loved Bach. I told my science teacher the only classical I listen to is Beethoven. At the time I realized that was the wrong answer to give him.

We went looking in the used bookstores and each of us bought a few things. I picked up Grapes of Wrath and he picked up a few books on boating. He told me that if I read the book I bought and write a paper on it he would give it to my English teacher explaining that I am going above and beyond to further my knowledge of the English language. I laughed, but then again I needed the points in class, because I hated what we reading at the moment.

Then we went to the music store. This took longer then I think both of us suspected. I quickly dived into the classic rock looking for whatever I wanted at the time and he quickly went to the classical and grabbed a few things and then headed over to the jazz. He was in the Jazz for a good while. I was still stuck in the Classic Rock. I grabbed a few things and one of them happened to be a Procol Harum album. It was one I never heard of, but I decided to take my chance. I also picked up a few other Rock oddities. The Procol Harum caught the eye of science teacher. He told me that he never heard that one and if I could make him a copy. He insisted that side one was the album and side two should be stuff "he should" be listening to.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515NRZ4yAAL._SS500_.jpg
The album I picked up was Broken Barricades and I had no idea what I was getting myself into. The only Procol Harum I had in my collection was a stupid best of and a live album with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra. The best of I had was full of bad sounding or mastering. The live album was great. So I was at a crossroads and took a chance on an album. When we went to eat, he looked at my other selections I purchased. He noticed a Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin. He told me that he was unfamiliar with both and if I so desire, to put a song of each on the tape. I was shocked that he did not know about some of the most important people of Rock and Roll. On the other hand he did tell me he did not listen to it much so I kind of understood.

As I ate my enchilada he told me about the richness of Mexican food. He told me that some of this food is the best food for you. If your parents ever complain about you not eating your veggies then you should tell them to take you to get Mexican. This day was also my first day eating avocado. A day that did change my life in really so many ways.

When I got home I went downstairs and put on the Procol Harum. It was not your typical album. I am not sure there was a single on this album, but I loved "Simple Sister" a lot. The middle passage of that song was amazing. Even more, was the Robin Trower's guitar parts. "Song of a Dreamer" was amazing. I cranked up "Power Failure" because the middle in that was full of great drums and percussion.

This album was full of rich sound and wonderful full tightness. This was a dramatic departure from what I heard from when they first started out. I would put this album in a top list of something. It was an album that made leaps for me, because after listening to that, I knew I needed to find albums just as compelling to this. In the end I gave the tape to my teacher, and he did think it was okay. He did like Gary Brooker's keyboard playing. He told me Side two of the tape was not for him, but it had it's moments. Two years later he handed me a CD of best of Bach on Organ. He told e that I should listen to track five as it sounds like what Gary Brooker was telling us. As for me I found a new love. A great album with so much power. Enjoy a classic from 1971 that sounds very good today. Not to dated, but very, very good

2 comments:

  1. Erm...Gary Brooker didn't actually play the organ on "Whiter Shade.." - it was Matthew Fisher.

    Signed,

    Sgt. Pedantic :-D

    P.S. the little security wordy thing gave me "fancy" as a word. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Purple Gooroo! I knew it was one or the other! Hope you liked my story though!! I take it you like Broken Barricades.

    ReplyDelete