Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Sung Tongs or is it Song Tongues...What ever it is I am not sure If I like it

http://nextseason.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/animal2.jpg

Once in a while I do feel like I went back to college at the wrong time. I feel like I missed some kind of radical music or human movement that change the coarse of thinks we know dramatically. When it does happen I feel like I was not a part in the participation. One of those times is the Freak-Folk movement of the early 2000's.

Animal Collective is and what they did as a new and defined new genre or altering musical listen in the future. People will say Animal Collective and say hey!!! They made a musical roots when there was no new roots to be had. They created new and fresh ideas when people were wondering if the end of Rock and Roll was near. In some respects it was a new genre of music and a new life of what could or ever be possible.

I was sure I missed the boat on this one. I see the end of the year reviews and go..."oh no what the hell did I just miss." Sure what did get a lot of the press was Arcade Fire. I will and should talk about how that album hit me like a Mac truck in a later blog, but this was a hit and run. Each initial feel of this album was no sense of feel I felt before.



It's 2009 and Animal Collective are still making an impact that we cannot understand. I still cannot figure out what the hell they are doing. In 2004 they gave us this treat they the world does not know how to digest it or let alone put it in the cookie jar or just put it down in the basement away from light and let it age. What I know is the fact that some of the music is very catchy and extremely fun to listen to.

When I picked up this album I would pick the pieces I would listen to and take notes, sadly the notes were not the notes I could grasp, but the notes of Holy Shit I think they just made something so new and fresh that we are unable to know what they are doing. Sure I listened to the Avant-Garde, the Experimental, even the outer depths of what ever was out there, but this was utter chaos and controlled too. I mean some of the stuff I can listen to and go.."wow!! I get it...I think."

I could give you songs to pick and listen to, but you as the reader and listener might not get what I am talking about. You as the person might have to find your own favorite to dissect and break a part just to figure out what they are doing. Whatever Animal Collective do it is a band that should be listened to with some amount of interest and not to be taken lightly.

http://aaadfahq.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/animal-collective-sung-tongs-4554221.jpg

What I like about the album is the fact of the complexity. It may be easy to see what they are achieving, but some respects it might hard as well. What separates Animal Collective from everybody else is the fact, like Radiohead, we really are not quite sure what this is, and how to copy something that might not be able to be redone with the pleasure this is. It's experimental with out the feel of something that hard to copy or remake. If it's a classic now, in the future it will be a masterpiece. Enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment