Monday, December 21, 2009

Phases and Stages, Circle and Cycles

http://www.morethings.com/music/willie_nelson/willie-nelson-220.jpg

When I was very young I used to hear Willie Nelson all the time. I was impressed by his lyrics and his guitar playing. We had a copy of a greatest hits of his in the house and I am not sure why that was our only country record. When he got acclaim for an album he put in 1993 again I listened to him. I even had a friend tell me he was playing of all place UConn. It was a small place, but there was enough there to reach everyone in the audience. I went, because all I knew was his hits and the album that came out in 1993.

I met him backstage, like he always does he signs autographs for his fans, and he stays until the last one is there. I got his autograph and asked him a few questions. One of the questions I asked him was what is his favorite album of his career. He joked and said all of them. Then he got serious. He told me that he loved the two albums he did for Atlantic Records. He told me he loved them because they let him do what he wanted and the musicians on there were first rate. He told me if you don't own them two get those and you can hear how much heart I actually have. I thanked him and went home with a signed Willie CD and picture.

http://images.bluebeat.com/an/1/8/2/6/4/l46281.jpg


The next day I went to the record store and took Willie's advice. I asked the guy at the store for the albums he mentioned. He laughed. He told me that no one buys those anymore. They buy the new one or greatest hits. There is no in between for people, but he brought me over to the budget tapes. There they were Phases and Stages and Shotgun Willie for the cheap price of $3.99 on cassette. I bought them both. The guy at the store asked me if I saw him the night before and I told him that I did and Willie Nelson suggested that I listen to these two. He said these were his favorite albums.

I quickly put them in the car. The first one I listened to was Phases and Stages. I was quite impressed. I liked the fact it did not sound country, but a mix of R&B and the touch of that Muscle Shoals sound. I did not think of any of that then. I just liked it because it was fresh and original.

Later in my life I picked up the album again. This time it was part of a box set of his music when he recorded for Atlantic Records. I remember Willie's words. He said the band and how he felt comfortable was the reason he liked these albums. The box set never made that clear, but the box set had a ton of bonus tracks and a live album from that time frame. The live album had an incredible loose feel to it. It sounded like they were having loads of fun.

When I read reviews of this album they mention that it's a concept album. Side one being the point of view of the women and side two the male point of view. It's got of mix of Country and Honky Tonk and the mix if the Muscle Shoals makes it one hell of an album. It sparked a lot of perspective from both genders and with a lot of power. Each these would have made a powerful album in it's own right, but both made one hell of a concept album.

If your looking for a Willie Nelson album that is not your typical album, then go right hear. The only hit is "Bloody Mary Morning," but it's not the real hit, the hit is the album itself. A classic if there was ever one. Take it from Willie on this one. I love it to, but the man who made loves it even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment