Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Dear Herbie, I Love this album!!!

http://www.bergoiata.org/fe/Jazz/jazz_csg_043_herbie_hancock.jpg

It was only way I could go, I told a friend after hearing the cool funk of Funkadelic and of Parliament. I needed something with more horns and leaning with a jazz style. I was always a fan of the funk and soul. I wanted more then what I was listening to. Most of the Jazz in the house was traditional straight ahead style.

Herbie Hancock to me is one of the best musicians in the world. He can cross so many genres it's scary. He worked with one of my favorites Miles Davis. He even worked with Eric Dolphy. He was the go to guy. What makes his music so timeless is you hear it all the time. This is a far stretch from his acoustic playing with Miles.

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Arts/Arts_/Pictures/2007/10/03/herbie460.jpg

The album I speak about is Fat Albert Rotunda. It was his first album for Warner Bros. at the time and speaks volumes to me. It repercussions are felt anytime you hear a good funk groove on a Funk album or an Jazz album. I am sure with this album coming out in 1969 I am sure that the future Funk people took it all in.

This album has it all. Fat Albert Rotunda has a good cast of people on it too. I mean Eric Gale on guitar and Buster Williams on bass. Not to mention Joe Henderson and Bernard Purdie. It's loose groove has you hooked with the first note of "Wiggle-Waggle." The song "Tell Me A Bedtime Story" is a song that everybody should play.

The title track is nothing more then perfect. It sounds like they had a lot of fun doing this. Enjoy a classic of Jazz and Funk. if you need to feel upbeat then this is the album for you. You want hear Herbie Hancock play his ass off then I suggest this masterpiece. Jazz-Funk starts hear and play it loud.

1 comment:

  1. i finally picked this up a while ago from work. this is a pretty fun album to listen to while i'm typing on a computer. i was beyond excited to have seen Herbie play at Hampton Beach a few years ago. i don't believe he played anything off this album, but i love all that funky stuff he did. if he ever came back here again, i'd see him in a heartbeat.

    -Fizz

    ReplyDelete