Friday, December 11, 2009

For The Byrds

http://www.rollingstonesnet.com/images/ByrdsBox.jpg

Sometimes among in difficulty hard times the treasures come out and sprinkle a little gem. This album was one of the most difficult albums to be put out in Rock and Roll history. I took a cue from another blog I read today and said to myself that I should do this killer album. I love the Byrds. I think they are one of the best bands in the world.

I grew up listening to songs like "Eight Miles High" and "Mr. Tambourine Man" among others. I always thought the talent of Roger McGuinn, Gene Clark, David Crosby and Chris Hillman were amazing. Each member had something really fun and exciting to bring to the table. I been reading Gene Clark's Bio lately and it's a wealth of knowledge. It talks about how the band had some of the most interesting dynamic.

http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/t/the-byrds/album-the-notorious-byrd-brothers.jpg

I kept on reading the Bio and firmly believed that Gene Clark was the hidden talent of the band. Sadly, he did not stick around, but his persona in the band could never be replaced. I think also that David Crosby's writing was some of the best he has ever done. The recognizable jangle of the Rickenbacker guitar by McGuinn will always be a part of Rock and Roll History. He clamed he saw George Harrison one night on Ed Sullivan and noticed he was playing a 12 String. It changed his life forever.

Flash forward to 1967 and the Monterey Pop festival. The Byrds take the stage and play most of their other classic Younger Than Yestersday. It seems to go over pretty well. Did It??? I have heard wonderful stories on how McGuinn hated it and David Crosby stole his spotlight. I also heard that Crosby got fired right after the performance. I really don't know the story, but would die to know. Well after Monterey Pop, David was out and the only members were Hillman and McGuinn. How do you ask you make an album like that.

Well, you see, you make an album that is just as good or better then the last. What you add is some Moog and some wonderful songwriting and a hint of what we now called country rock and you have a masterpiece.

http://www.corbisimages.com/images/DZ002802.jpg?size=67&uid=6C8D92E7-07FC-420B-99E7-1B62681662C3

I love the way the songs weave into each other and blend in with such great melodies and lyrics. Notorious Byrd Brothers is one amazing album. Each song has a little gem and makes you want more and has one of The Byrds classic covers "Wasn't Born to Follow" is a great song. It was even featured in the movie Easy Rider. If you need to be different on what Byrds to get, start here. It's a classic and no one knows yet it's power. If you get the CD re-issue the true gem is David Crosby's "Triad" which was covered by Jefferson Airplane and on the classic Crown of Creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment