Friday, December 18, 2009

She's Telling Dirty Lies She's A Devil In Disguise

http://messyheadblues.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/burrito.jpg

She's a devil in disguise you can see it in her eyes
She's telling dirty lies she's a devil in disguise in disguise
Now a woman like that all she does is hate you
She doesn't know what makes a man a man
She'll talk about the times that she's been with you
She'll speak your name to everyone she can
She's a devil in disguise you can see it in her eyes
She's telling dirty lies she's a devil in disguise in disguise
Unhappiness has been her close companion
Her world is full of jealousy and doubt
It gets her off to see a person crying
She's just the kind that you can't do without
She's a devil in disguise you can see it in her eyes
She's telling dirty lies she's a devil in disguise in disguise
Her number always turns up in your pocket
Whenever you are looking for a dime
It's all right to call her but I'll bet you
The moon is full and your just wasting time
She's a devil in disguise you can see it in her eyes
She's telling dirty lies she's a devil in disguise in disguise

These lyrics are from the first song on the Flying Burrito Brothers first album The Gilded Palace of Sin. The Song has a shuffle sound to it. The song is full of twang like country but the electric guitar parts make it more rock. The product of this is none other then Gram Parsons. He already turned the Byrds into Country Rock now he started his own band and without question has turned the heads of many people. Two people that heard this were Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

The album mixes Country, Rock and Roll, Folk, Gospel, and Soul. This is one of the albums that influenced Son Volt, Wilco, Whiskeytown, and The Jayhawks. It also influenced artists such as Dwight Yoakam, Emmylou Harris and Lucinda Williams.

http://www.johnelkington.com/weblog/gilded.gif

The album was not very popular when it came out, but If I was alive I would have taken the chance to buy it. When I first heard them I was in High School. I had this best of Flying Burrito Brothers tape. I played it to death. I was so impressed with the vision of Gram Parsons and the band. The band also included Chris Hillman who was with the Byrds.

What I think spoke to me about The Flying Burrito Brothers was the fact they did not have any psychedelic feel, but they just played. They had great harmonies and wonderful writing. "Christine's Tune" and "Sin City" are some of the best writing I have heard. If any band owes a big debt to them it's the Eagles. If this never came out I am sure that Eagles success would not be as important as it was.

http://mcbyrds.com/burritosbackstage%20LA%201969.jpg

The two covers on the album "Do Right Woman" and "Dark End of the Street" lean heavy on the R&B side of music. The vision of Gram Parsons fit well with what the rest of the band wanted to do. But no one ever brought rock and country together quite like the Flying Burrito Brothers, and this album remains their greatest accomplishment.

I know I get laughed at for listening to this album, I even get laughed at when I sing these songs in the car, but let me tell you, this album remains the greatest albums in my musical loves. I know that when I play this in front of my family, my mother of all people thinks I have gone to her country side. I may like classic country, but this album is classic cool. So, it may take a while to listen to, but I suggest that it's a required listen that will reward you more then you will ever know. The Lyrics above tell you how great this music truly is.

1 comment:

  1. FUnny, I was just listening to this album the other day.

    Parsons was so influential on everyone around him back then. Sure later on Son Volt, Wilco, Whiskeytown, and The Jayhawks. But back then it was the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, then Poco and the Eagles that heavily influenced.

    One of Poco's best songs is "Crazy Eyes" which is about Parsons.

    Parsons had too much root in his twang to ever make it big like the Eagles, who shrewdly kept any (if there was any) Hank Williams from rearing his head in their music.

    Not Parsons. The real deal.

    AKA/Rick

    ReplyDelete