Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Brutal Elvis!

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/5398732/Elvis+Costello+costelloelvisphotoxlelviscoste.jpg

You know I could pick his first five albums, but that be to easy. I love those albums too, but I figure I pick an album from his 90's output. It's an album I have appreciation for because it was the tour I saw of him the most times. I also think contrary to all the critics reviews of his albums I like this, the best output of the 90's.

My Elvis Costello liking came early in life. It was my best friend who loved him. Saw him about 15 times and if he could he would take me to a show. I have seen Elvis Costello about 10 times and each time is more and more fun. I would go to these shows with him and beside the new material the old stuff would have a better sound to it. This all came to the head with the Spike tour. That is when my love for Elvis Costello was at it's peak. He played forever and it was really a fun show.

http://misctapes.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/elvisc.jpg

I played Spike a lot. I even liked the Paul McCartney songs that he wrote with Elvis Costello. A few years pasted when I picked up Brutal Youth his first album with The Attractions since 1986. It was featured on a radio program and every song was a great treat. The bass and drum parts were great. His voice was in top form. His lyrics were fun and playful. Here is a sample;

"My science fiction twin
Decided to become invisible
He has my eyes, my face, my voice
But he's only happy when I'm miserable
The words flew from his mouth
And they were gently gathered by reporters
Trying to frame his once infamous flame
With tattered pictures of her daughter
Her hair is all made out of porcupine
Her figure is fantastic
But as you know, they corrupted her
So they're being sarcastic
Who put the fascination back into my science fiction twin

He'll scream and shout
Everything is working out just as he predicted
Pride and position in the gallery of attempted people
Oh and the pain is so sweet
Better stamp his little feet
And you'll even have time to pity me
How can you feel content?
You wonder where this fellow went"

These words are great. That is only a sample on his greatness. The album has a wonderful feel like none of his 90's albums have when he was on Warner Bros.

The tour for this album followed and I was ready to see him again. This time with the Attractions. I only saw them once and then I was only 12 and I did not get it. This time a little more mature and very heavy on the music I finally got it. I saw 3 dates for this tour and wish I saw more. He mixed it up a bit and a great time. Then two years later I saw the Costello and Nieve shows. Some of the Brutal Youth songs were stripped down. These songs were more engaging.

http://nobrasil.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/0765.jpg

This album is still one of my favorites. It has a good chunk of songs to keep anyone happy and a must listen if you are trying to find that Elvis Costello album that you want to take a chance on. Full of great hooks and wonderful music. You should be playing air guitar or in my case air drums to. Have fun and enjoy! Here are some more great lyrics too.

"The shirt you wore with courage
And the violent nylon suit
Reappear upon your back
And undermine the polished line you try to shoot
It's not the torment of the flames
That finally sees your flesh corrupted
It's the small humiliations that your memory piles up

This is hell, this is hell, this is hell.

"My Favourite Things" are playing
Again and again
But it's by Julie Andrews
And not by John Coltrane
Endless balmy breezes and perfect sunsets framed
Vintage wine for breakfast
And naked starlets floating in Champagne
All the passions of your youth
Are tranquillized and tamed
You may think it looks familiar
Though you may know it by another name"

No comments:

Post a Comment