Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Leo and his Guitar!

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjJB5lZpoLxeTUWgLKhLXsQMDaaC4nNAyibgH_Z9zRpL4u-dK-bmqgT7xi4NcnUcrdzwXNF6GdnCpHlu9lnVbsaiqMrEH3ypRLpyuV2fq3y8NU_WpAJlK2U7Q0VExHOAcS-iBA3XxfQuAvx/s320/leo+kottke+6+12+string+guitar.jpg

In my early years of learning music I never had more learning experience then when I was in my early 20's. When the Borders opened up near where I live I would go often. I had friends who worked there and beside my frequent visits to see them I would often make my move to the music section. Most of the people in the music section I became fast friends with. A few of them knew me because of my best friend. They went to college or High School with him and knew me as the young kid who wanted to know about music.

In the early years of Borders they had each genre labeled in the store. They were also creative enough to add some of there own to the wonderful eclectic mix. Borders gave these people who worked there some control. There were genres set up for Tropicalia, and also Afro-Pop, and even one for Out to Lunch. At the middle of the music department was the information desk. just before you got to the desk there was a set with staff picks. Each person had 3 or 4 CD's of things they loved.

http://www.backstagegallery.com/photos/RZ/3099/Leo-Kottke-pictures-1973-RZ-3099-010-l.jpg

One person I was friends with picked guitar artists. Each pick was a guitar album that had on his picks were albums I never heard of. One was Steve Tibbetts, the other was Eddie Hazel, the other was Bill Frisell, and lastly was Leo Kottke. I know now about each of these artists more then I care to know. Each of these are featured in my favorite artists or albums. The Steve Tibbetts album was featured in the early part of my blog. Eddie and Bill be part of the future of this blog and tell you more about them later.

The last one was Leo Kottke and the one that has stood with me for quite some time. The album is quite simply called 6 and 12 String Guitar. It's an album that is only 38 minutes but every song is a keeper. The album is mostly his songs with the exception of a Bach piece. His guitar technique is amazing. He did learn from the best and John Fahey gave him an identity all his own.

http://www.onetonnemusic.com/mt-static/archives/Leo_Kottke.jpg


It's far from sappy, though, the rich and resonant picking intimating some underlying restlessness, like peaceful open fields after a storm. (AM) The synthesis of numerous influences from blues, pop, classical, and folk styles, the weirdly titled instrumentals, even the tongue-in-cheek liner notes. (AM) Leo is a feat to see live too, his shows are full of one-liners and very cool instrumentals and explanations of songs. He even told the crowd when he opened up for Tuck and Patti to call Tuck "The Squid" when he comes out and plays. I seen him in small shows and somewhat large ones and each time is very entertaining.

So if your looking for a good acoustic straightforward album then this is it. If you want to cry and wish you played guitar like Leo, then this too is the album. Leo is an amazing guitar player who should be watched and listened too. He does it with so little effort it makes you think he is not doing it at all. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment