Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Trip-Portishead Hop

http://blogs.ilovedrumnbass.com/dinde/wp-content/uploads/Portishead.jpg

For a change of pace in the mid 1990's I decided to listen to something new, different and most of all daring. I usually like the rock and roll, but I wanted to move away from my habit of what I like and move to something more challenging that sound different and unique. I entered the world of Trip-Hop.

Trip-Hop is the "Bristol Sound" or "downtempo electronic music." This music is recognized by the artists Tricky, Portishead and Massive Attack and others. These artists I knew nothing about, but a friend suggested I try them out. Around this time also was the same kind of buzz over one of these bands. Portishead was played on MTV to death. I think honestly it was to much, so I listened to Tricky and Massive Attack. I was very impressed. It had the electronic feel, but it was very catchy. It was not full of heavy pounding, but it had a great feel and a wonderful rich sound I have never heard before.

http://thescenestar.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/04/25/portishead.jpg

After a year went by, the MTV buzz on Portishead shifted to something else. It shifted to Green Day. I was not interested so I continued my quest on Portishead. I bought the first album. I was so impressed I wanted to hear more. I heard they were touring. I asked the friend who got me into them about tickets. He told me that the buzz is still there and the tickets sold out in five minutes. I was sad. Then the day of the show he called me. He said he just happen to have to 2 tickets for New York City, if I meet him at his job with in the hour we can get to New York and see them.

After the show I shook his hand and told him, by far one of the most amazing shows I have ever seen. Not only did everything I ever thought it would happen, it was more stuff that happened after that. If that made any sense to you readers. It was like a Mack truck just sideswiped me and then came back around and hit me again. Beth Gibbons vocals were spot on.

http://www.phawker.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/portishead-portishead.jpg

When listening to the first album and seeing them live it was quite impressive to see how this magic was done live. Everything had to be just right. After that first album sadly we had to wait three years for their next masterpiece. The Self titled album came out with some buzz, but not to much as the first. I picked it up right away. Again I wanted to see the tour, and this time tickets were even tougher. They played Roseland for about three nights. The songs on the second album had some really great songs that could be played so well live. When I found out they were they were playing with the New York Philharmonic Orchestra. The stuff that they sampled anything from Issac Hayes to music from Mission Impossible TV show. This could be done without those samples and played very fresh and new.

The second album is my classic and it has more of an eerie feel to it. A few samples were present, but stuff I did not recognize. The album is very well done. Excited for new stuff once again we had to wait eleven years to hear something from them. Their third album was in my top 10 in 2008 and was a real joy to hear the return of Portishead. Enjoy a rare band with a great feel and wonderful music that will nicely wash over you.

No comments:

Post a Comment