Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The other band from LA

http://laist.com/attachments/tony/arthurlee1.jpg

When I first heard Love it was only by accident and I was not really pay attention I was fast forward the cassette so I could hear something else. I even told myself that I would get back to the song later. This tape I still have it's all the artists that I love and got into in my teenage years. There is Traffic on it and The Seeds and countless others. It was one of those Time-Life Sets that my cousin belonged to and he told me he wanted me to hear the tapes he was getting. I told him I will more then likely be keeping this album for a while.

With this eclectic music mix on this cassette I played the tape often. Every band that was on that tape I wanted more of. I listened to Love and fell "in love" The song was "Seven & Seven Is" It may not be on this album, but it launched my understanding on who they were. They were even featured in the book of essential sixties music reading.


http://untossedcoin.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/love-pic111.jpg


Then one day I decided to find more information about Love. I went to the record store and bought Forever Changes. It not only transported me to another world, but it really made me understand the 1960's. Rapped up in this 1960's culture was a band that had more to gain then anybody in that time period. They hid in the shadow of The Doors because both were on Elektra records. They had no pressure to be popular or conform to any expectations.

The first thing you notice about this album is Arthur Lee. His lyrics are pretty damn close to perfect. The next thing you notice is his voice. His voice is strong in your face. He is political without pointing a finger, he does it more subtle. He points out that we are all to blame. In the 1960's everyone pointed fingers at everybody.

"By the time that I'm through singing
The bells from the schools of wars will be ringing
More confusions, blood transfusions
The news today will be the movies for tomorrow
And the water's turned to blood, and if
You don't think so
Go turn on your tub
And it it's mixed with mud
You'll see it turn to gray
And you can call my name
I hear you call my name."

What great words from the eyes of Arthur Lee. The plush acoustics make it sound okay, but when he gets to those words above the electric guitar makes the chaos and the firepower he needs. One day we will see what Arthur Lee really meant to say. It's too bad never get to hear his side. I had the chance to see Arthur Lee and his new version of Love, but he cancelled the the show and died 3 months later. I was all set to have him sign that poster you see in the first picture of this post.

I wonder how this album would have turned out with Neil Young producing? This album is amazing start to finish. Again, another classic from 1967 and not to be ignored either. It does not have Beatles elements, but it's unique in it's own way. Have fun, but be warned that you might play this album more then once in a sitting. Enjoy LA in 1967 without anyone getting in the way.
http://xarxainfojove.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/love_-_forever_changes.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I picked up Forever Changes in the late 70s. I can't remember if it was because of the 5* review in the Rolling Stone Record Guide...actually I think it was because it was ranked in the top 20 all time best albums in Dave Marsh's Book of Lists.

    This is why I have a love/hate thing for the critics. Because its times like this when they turned me onto something there's no way I'd have heard of or purchased on my own.

    I don't view Forever Changes as a 60s classic as much as some. Sure its got many psych sounds, but to me, its more of a timeless classic, because there really isn't anything like it. Its so unique.

    I love how Robert Plant was so effusive of Lee/Love after he died. You can sort of hear the influence on Led Zep, especially on III. Still, there really isn't a whole lot like Forever Changes in this world. A true classic if there ever was. And for awhile I think it was a bit of a "lost classic". That never sold much in its time. But over the years its not lost at all anymore. Especially out here in California, you will see it for sale in very high profile positions in local stores. People in California recognize it as a part of our heritage, just like Pet Sounds or Hotel California.

    In fact, when I think about other lost classics that are still lost and look like they'll never be properly (re)discovered, I think about how Forever Changes somehow punched through the lostness of it all to be found, and can only hope that some other favorites find such recognition.

    As great as Forever Changes is, I also highly recommend their Best of. It has Little Red Book in it and "Seven & Seven Is" and many other sold numbers. Love prior to Forever Changes was very much a garage band, not dissimilar to many other California garage rockers of the time. Its fun to hear how their songs quickly evolved from good ole garage rock into something much more sublime and different. "Forever Changes" is very much "not" garage rock.

    Rick/Akajazzman

    ReplyDelete