Saturday, November 7, 2009

Mick , Keith and the Boys!

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/070723/lovesongs/stones_l.jpg

If I talk about the Beatles I have to talk about the Rolling Stones right? Well I do and I will. I was a little torn on what album to choose. In the 1960's I have two favorites. The first is Let It Bleed, the second would be Beggars Banquet with Their Satanic Majesties Request nipping at the heels. I will tell you this, My all time favorite Rolling Stones song is 2000 Light Years From Home. I could play that song for hours dissecting the mellotron and all the lops that are made on the song and how it takes me to a science fiction world.

When I did my radio show on Progressive Rock, Psychedelic, Electronic and underground Classic Rock, I picked 2000 Light Years From Home as my theme. Going back to my favorite Stones albums, I have two 70's favorites. I love Exile on Main Street and the second best album of the 70's Black and Blue. If I had to choose an album to represent the Rolling Stones in their first showcase in my blog I would choose Exile on Main Street.

I would chose Exile on Main Street for a few reasons. The first is that it's a double LP. There was a lot of creative energy to make that. According to Bill Wyman they would work 8pm till 3am for a month (allmusic) I think a little pressure from Stephen Stills too having released a double album called Manassas a month before Exile on Main Street had soemthing to do with that since they were both on Atlantic records. Even the threat of Bill Wyman said he would have quit the Rolling Stones to join Manassas.

Manassas has a blend of all types of music on it. There is Bluegrass, Blues, Rock and Roll, Folk and Latin music as well. On Exile the Rolling Stones do a good job of adding the Blues and Country and Rock and Roll and a little bit of folk. If it was not for Exile on Main Street and Manassas we would not have Being There by Wilco and many roots type bands or albums. I will talk about Manassas in a future post.

The second reason is because I like long albums, they are great to listen to with out wondering what 40 minutes of good music would do if there was 80 minutes if great music. I mean every song on Exile is a keeper. The album to me has the great hits like Rip This Joint, and Tumbling Dice and Sweet Virginia. It also has the sleepers like Happy, and Shake Your Hips and Rocks Off and Stop Breakin' Down.

http://aeso.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/rolling-stones-exile-on-main-street-front.jpg

When I first bought this album I remember buying it and thinking it was a lost greatest hits package. I thought that this album had all the songs that made the Rolling Stones famous, but with out the Paint it Black or Sympathy for the Devil or the other hits I remember.

Another reason I love this album is because Mick Taylor and Keith Richards just do some amazing stuff. Their solos are and trade offs are awesome. On Happy Keith's vocals are great. The vocals are muddy and fun and the band is in front so much. It's an album that rewards the listen at every listen. I like that in album. I like that an album such as this and there are a few albums that can give a treat every time you listen to it.

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2007/06/rollingstones1_450x505.jpg

Even the country songs sound like they have matured and don't sound like they just came off the latest country album. This is the most complete Stones album. You could play it back to front or front to back and it sound great.

I always wondered if I was at a Rolling Stones show circa 1968-1974. What would be happening? How would my experience be like? What the hell could be possible with them? I was told in 1969 they had Janis Joplin and Tina Turner as their back up singers. How cool is that. I also heard they were a monster on stage. With all this energy they had I am sure they had like 3 hour shows. I have seen the Rolling Stones 5 times and it was amazing, but I am sure not as amazing as that time period.

Here is first of many Rolling Stones on this blog, and I hope to talk more about why it's so hard to pick just one. Enjoy a album when an album was just that an album. If the Rolling Stones can make an album like that then I think the world be a little more happy!!!

3 comments:

  1. Fab (should I use the word 'Fab'?) piece of writing. Particularly Exile: The Most Complete Stones Album. First time I've ever read that phrase in relation to Exile but it's so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Knitter, a few Stones fans I know go for Beggars or Let It Bleed, this is my favorite! Keep up the reading of my blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet agrees. I can listen to that fucker two times through and it don't get old.

    ReplyDelete