Friday, November 13, 2009

Praise the man they Call Brian!!!

http://starling.rinet.ru/music/sleeves/zap_eno.jpg

"Oh cheeky cheeky
Oh naughty sneaky
You're so perceptive
And I wonder how you knew."

That is one of the opening set of lyrics to the mind blowing song "Dead Finks Don't Talk" and to me one of the coolest lyrics. Here is some more;

"Oh, you headless chicken
Can those poor teeth take so much kicking?
You're always so charming
As you make your way up here."

"And dead finks don't dress too well
No discrimination
To be a zombie all the time
Requires such dedication."

These lyrics are the album Here Come The Warm Jets and when I talk about albums that are perfect, this is one of them. With an all star lineup this album is an album that I would listen again and again in my early 20's and never get tired of it. Now that I am in my mid 30's this album is on heavy rotation.

Some of the best lines in a song, I think. Brian Eno is a man who is a musician, producer, inventor and eye opener. He was in Roxy Music for a short while and you can tell when he is on the album. He tilts things to the left so well and it's addicting. After hearing Here Comes The Warm Jets you get the point of what he is trying to do. The album hit me on the back of the head and ran away. After I got out of the daze I realized how important it is. I think what got me to listen to it was Robert Fripp was on it. Something about this album draws on me. I place it in CD player in the car and I have yet to take it out of the car. I even let my friends listen to it. I expose them to it and they laugh because they think I am crazy. I tell them that this man made U2 and if it was not for Eno our music would be boring and we would have no Radiohead, Sonic Youth and U2 and many others that he gave ideas to.

Eno is such a cool person he made ambient music fun and exciting and really put new things on the musical landscape. Only Eno can put himself in high regard and get away with it. Many artists say they are important, but Eno is. This was Eno's first album after he left Roxy Music. It sounds nothing like a Roxy Music album, but it has some Roxy Music people on it. So much can be said about this album that when it came out in 1974 Brian Eno was so ahead of the curve the people looking for it took the wrong path and never saw it at all.

If I had to put this album anywhere in my collection it would be a top 10 selection. It made it something takes time to listen to, but after the second listen I am sure you will get clubbed over the head like I did. Each song on the album has a different feel and that makes it interesting to me. He does not stick to one point. He has many points. One thing that I love about this album is the way everything sounds. I tell everybody I know that it has the best guitar solo of all time on it. Fripp's solo on "Baby's on Fire" is so blistering it's threatening to rip your face off.

"Oh perfect masters
They thrive on disasters
They all look so harmless
Till they find their way up here."

"But dead finks don't talk too well
They've got a shaky sense of diction
It's not so much a living hell
It's just a dying fiction."

Eno to me made music enjoyable, enjoyable in away so you hear the stuff and realize that it can do anything and just wash over you. I am not sure how to describe his vocal albums with detail, but I can tell you that he did something in the vain of art rock.

This album reaches you in very few albums can. It's begging for your attention and each song is a layer. The song after fits the puzzle and when the 10 songs are over you have a completed subject. This album is not an album that sounds 1970's progressive rock but it sounds like your listening to a reading of a great novel. It took me a while to digest and I would recommend listening to the album in pieces. It was the way I learned about what he was doing. If you love King Crimson, then this is the album. If you want to know what one of the most important person was doing at the height of his career then this is the peak and he stays on that peak for quite a long time.

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/1639/cover_1251717102008.jpg

1 comment:

  1. i had picked up Another Green World a while back and then was able to find a copy of Jets and this albums is pretty cool. Fripp's guitar work is great. I'm also going to dig for some early Roxy Music albums with Eno, just have to see what I can find.

    -Fizz

    ReplyDelete