Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Wheels of Amazing Fire!!!!

http://patrishka.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/cream-portrait1968.jpg

I can tell you that when your 13 and see this at a tag sale for a dollar you wouldn't pass it up either. I mean in a box of LP's this had the aluminum foil type cover and when you open up the record gatefold this splash makes it's presence . I mean how would you not pass up that artwork.

http://www.backtoblackvinyl.com/images/album-artwork/big/cream-wheels-of-fire-inside.jpg

I got more albums that day, but this was one of my favorite albums of that day's tag sale find. When I found out this album had Eric Clapton on it I was even more impressed. I was in heaven like any kid with a new toy and my toy was a shiny LP.

What I like about this album is the great splashes of Psychedelia and the musicianship of Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker. The subtle addition of Felix Pappalardi who I would consider their silent fourth member made the trio more tight and full of energy also Felix himself playing anywhere between organ pedals on "Passing The Time" to violas on "White Room" to Trumpet on "Pressed Rat and Warthog." The addition of lyric master Pete Brown also gave a great mix of unusual lyrics and an album that stands the test of time.

http://www.drummerworld.com/pics/drum35/gingerbaker.jpg

What is fun about Wheels of Fire is the mix of good old fashion Blues and Psychedelia and good old hardy Rock & Roll. I may have somewhat understood it when I bought it, but I still dissect it and give it rewarded listens all the time. To the common folk who just are happy with a best of Cream, this album is a big along with all the other Cream put out. What the common folk miss are the hidden gems that are on this album.

They also miss the Live LP that is part two of this two LP set. I mean who would not want to hear a 17 minute of "Spoonful." You here this as a full trio, live and at the height of their creative powers. Looking back when I got this album I wish I knew what I know now. Albums like this are to be treasured and loved. It's not very often a band like Cream can make a statement like this. I am really not sure if any band today can do that statement.

http://musicalstewdaily.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/wheelsoffire2a9d7cqm9.jpg

What makes this album fun is the joy I have playing it and just wondering what it would be like to be in 1968 hearing this for the first time. The anticipation back then must have had some buzz on it. By the this came out, Eric Clapton was one of the most popular guitarist out there. This album made it clear he is something special. Jack Bruce by this point, I am sure was revered as an excellent bassist and Ginger Baker is just crazy.

I hope you enjoy this album as much as I do. If you own it, play it again and crank it. If you don't own it, buy it and enjoy! When you first listen it might take you a while to figure how full this album is. I just hope you fall in love with this album as I did. Enjoy Wheels of Fire and take yourself back to 1968 and think to yourself if Hendrix heard this and we know he had because in October of that year he put out Electric Ladyland. I am sure their was a friendly jab. To Be Continued.......

1 comment:

  1. Cream, nice! As a kid in the late 70s I bought their double compilation "Heavy Cream", which had more than half the songs from this album I think. I got it because of the hits that I already loved like "White Room".

    Frankly, I was never a big fan of all their music until much more recently when I went through a British Blues period of focus. I now greatly enjoy their music.

    I love how people will refer to "Yardbirds and Cream" as being the definitive British blues rock bands. Which is true. Yet their is such a clear divide between the bands.

    On one hand you have the Yardbirds heyday being from 1964 to 1966; and Cream's being 1967-68. Years that are so close together, that it shouldn't make a difference at all. Yet music was changing so fast in the 60s, a year sounds like a decade now.

    Yardbirds were more typical blues based, and early Brit-Invasion sounding. And then in 1966 the song "Shapes of the Things" was perfect in so many ways. It really did predict a lot of the sounds that were to come in hard rock and psych. Such a ground breaker. You'd think they'd have continued breaking ground, but its almost like they passed the baton to Cream.

    Cream picked it up and just ran into the future. Cream mixed the psych notions of the day with their hard blues, to create the beginnings of modern hard rock and metal. Not to mention being the most hard rockin' band of the day. Hugely influential on Hendrix for starters.

    Rick/Akajazzman

    ReplyDelete