Monday, November 30, 2009

My Senses are Sharp and My Hands are Like Gloves

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/164/347142543_dc0196a31d_o.jpg

You ever get an album from a friend or family member or buy it on the recommendation of someone and when you get it you are afraid to open it. Your so afraid of it you won't even play it. You just have this fear that the recommendation is either false or what you have in your hand my be one of the best albums ever. Well that was me when I was handed Marquee Moon. I was deeply paranoid to touch it. I would purposely put it at the bottom of the pile and claim to the person that gave to me that I listened to it already. Told him it was good and hope he did not notice that I did not elaborate on it.

The friend who gave it to me luckily did not notice that I only had few words for it. Those few words were "Oh My God" and "Holy Crap" to describe this wonderful piece of work. My best friend was about 6 years older then me. He had a appreciation for some stuff and other stuff he should have liked and quite frankly could have made him cooler. He was a product of liking Zappa and Joe Jackson and Elvis Costello and good old fashion classic rock. He should have liked Television, Clash and Patti Smith. His Talking Heads collection included the later stuff. If I remember right he had Little Creatures on cassette. He did not have Fear of Music or Remain In Light. I think the only reason he had Marquee Moon was to be popular with the "in crowd" and that was a shame. When he moved he handed me a bunch of LP's and told me to take care of them. In this collection was the Zappa and Joe Jackson and of course Marquee Moon.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/05/18/arts/verlaine.span.jpg

The album was in my collection forever and still is, but it was not till I bought it on tape when I was 18 did I realize the full effect of this awesomeness. Driving to school one day I had a crappy tape deck in a crappy car. I put in Marquee Moon in the tape deck. After the first note I was transported to another world. I was wondering how this album escaped me. It was not till I was a little older that I understood that album. If you ever give this album to somebody make sure they are mature to handle it.

I always wonder if this album was never created, what kind of music would be from the 1970's. I mean if Television did not exist where would all those smart 70's artist be. This album is I think the most intelligent album from that era. You can talk about 3 chords of Ramones and The Clash taking mix of Reggae, Ska, Funk and other stuff and you can talk about the art of Patti Smith and Talking Heads. Then where would you put Television??

Marquee Moon is great because, it is, plain and simple. It rocks more then anything in this world. There is a reason that this album is a top 10 album for me. It it smart rock and roll in a time that too much was going on in the music world. I personally think this album is not for the faint of heart. If you want hear simple music, you have come to the wrong album.

There are reasons that I love music like I do. Marquee Moon is one of those reasons. You can never make an album that makes you think so hard that your brain will explode. Take a listen to a true classic. One day you thank anyone who is a Marquee Moon fan. When you do listen to it crank it up. Don't be afraid.

http://littlepatchofyellowwall.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/television-marquee-moon.jpg

"I knew it musta been some big set-up.
All the Action just would not let up.
It's just a little bit back from the main road
Where the silence spreads and the men dig holes.
I start to spin the tale
You complain of my diction
You Give Me Friction
But I Dig Friction
You Know I'm Crazy About Friction
My eyes are like telescopes
I see it all backwards: but who wants hope?
If I ever catch that ventriloquist
I'll squeeze his head right into my fist.
Something comes tracking down,
What's the prediction?
I'll betcha it's Friction...
Stop this head motion... set the sails.
You know all us boys gonna wind up in jail.
I don't wanna grow up
There's too much contradiction."

1 comment:

  1. Great choice. One of the best albums ever by any band ever...ever. Verlaine's playing is otherworldly and Lloyd was no slouch either. Must mention Billy Ficca's incredible drumming too. I was lucky to catch them live in '78 having bought this album the year before. I have loved them ever since.

    ReplyDelete