Sunday, November 29, 2009

Can You Dig It?



He once told Fresh Air when he was being interviewed by Terry Gross that the reason he is bald is because of him living in Tennessee it was always hot and he figured being bald he did not have to worry about his hair getting wet due to the sweat. He also mentioned that he went into the barber and told him to cut his hair all off because of that fact.

To me Issac is a genius in many ways. His songwriting was some of the best ever done. I mean who does not love "Soul Man?" One of the best songs in the music repertoire. His music was even sampled by Portishead and Tricky and gave Issac a renewed popularity. Can we talk about him as chef in South Park. His lines were deadpan funny and most all had some kind of edgy from the master of cool. The most important was Shaft. What a great piece of music that stills has me wondering if everyone in the music world wished they wrote it.

http://www.silverstatechronicles.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/isaachayes.jpg

I like Issac because of that coolness. He made songs about the world of folk who just need a little help. I mean just hear the lyrics to "Soulville."

"Black man, born free,
At least that's the way it's supposed to be;
The chains that bind him are hard to see,
Unless you take this walk with me;

The place where he lives, God, he gives them names …
The ‘Hood, ‘The Projects, ‘The Ghetto; they are one and the same;
And I call it “Soulsville' ah, yeah.

Any kind of job is hard to find,
That means an increase in the welfare line;
The crime rate is rising too, but
If you are hungry, what would you do?"

He made those lyrics ring out to everyone in America. Let's talk about Hot Buttered Soul. I mean it has only 4 songs and each has a great effect on the legacy of popular music. His version of "Walk on By" is far ahead of anything that was out there. The fuzzy guitar parts are amazing and i am sure had touched people like Eddie Hazel and George Clinton. The orchestration is the best hook and grabs you and won't let go. You will remember it as long as you live.

"Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymistic" I am sure is the one word title in pop music history. The song gave me a feel up and down my spine and with lots of love all over. The groove is great and his piano playing has an influence of gospel, soul and funk. It too grabs you to make you want to groove.

http://www.antonioelias.com/aktiva/uploaded_images/Hot_Buttered_Soul-796777.jpg

"One Woman" is a great soul balled. It's got love and most of all it give you the courage to feel the same way he does plus the guts to feel the way towards that special person in your life. If it does not make you speak poetry to that loved one then I am not sure what will. Issac does it so well.

"By The Time I Get To Phoenix" is the classic that should be judged by it's own. It's the longest track on the record, but most of all makes it all right. He introduced the song and explains how deep this song. That is power that will give him his roots. It is well done and gives that extra kick that makes you want to start from the first song all over again.

The album is quite addictive and is and should be looked as a great classic in music. I know for me it rings some of the coolest music I have ever come across. I don't have a story about this, but I will tell you that I was turned on to it by a friend who knew good music and with that good music he passed it on to someone who loved it too. I now pass this great classic to you. Enjoy and I am sure you will play this all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment