Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Leonard Your Soups Ready!!

http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/59/102759-004-5B6D1CF5.jpg

You ever listen to an artist and his words are like something you could whisper to some beautiful lady within your eye view. Do you wish you could write like that artist can. For me two people can do this one is Tom Waits and the other is Leonard Cohen. Leonard speaks so well, not only that, but he has such a way with words that if your English teacher back in school heard you speak these words you would be in High Honors English.

I heard his words from my aunt. She like so many people who followed Leonard Cohen, because you see he could speak so well. Leonard Cohen has some of the best words in the world. Just look at this;

"Suzanne takes you down to her place near the river
You can hear the boats go by
You can spend the night beside her
And you know that she's half crazy
But that's why you want to be there
And she feeds you tea and oranges
That come all the way from China
And just when you mean to tell her
That you have no love to give her
Then she gets you on her wavelength
And she lets the river answer
That you've always been her lover
And you want to travel with her
And you want to travel blind
And you know that she will trust you
For you've touched her perfect body with your mind."

http://littlepatchofyellowwall.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/songs-of-leonard-cohen2.jpg

These words are what every poetry teacher wants his or her students to write. If I had that gift, I am sure my life would have been much better. In a time where the world was full of Summer of Love and Psychedelic Music, this man was straight ahead and even more was far ahead of the curve.

Something in his words and music for me strike a nerve. It is an world he lives in and wants you in his own way to join him. It's such a peaceful world in Leonard's life. I told my aunt after I listened to this that I think he is amazing. Every song is a story to Leonard and for him, you better sit down because each story has some great importance. I never saw him in his early career, but I saw him just last year twice and he is amazing. A old co-worker saw him in 1968 and she told me, that she fell in love as soon as he hit the stage. His words made every female who attended that show melt.

"Come over to the window, my little darling,
I'd like to try to read your palm.
I used to think I was some kind of Gypsy boy
before I let you take me home.
Now so long, Marianne, it's time that we began
to laugh and cry and cry and laugh about it all again.

Well you know that I love to live with you,
but you make me forget so very much.
I forget to pray for the angels
and then the angels forget to pray for us.

Now so long, Marianne, it's time that we began ...

We met when we were almost young
deep in the green lilac park.
You held on to me like I was a crucifix,
as we went kneeling through the dark."

Leonard Cohen is an artist that can transport you into his world quite easily. It does not take long to listen to his words and get transported in the world of Leonard Cohen. What I like is his simple life and his Buddhist philosophy. Many artist preach peace and love, but he does it and does it with very simple ways.

I have most of his books and I look at them often for inspiration. His life is something I would love to have. He knows more then all of us and is willing to share too. I am proud to be huge Leonard Cohen fan.

If you are looking for something different and something with thought in your music then Leonard Cohen is your man. Listen, because, you might not find a more appreciated artist then him. Jeff Buckley called him a genius and I cannot find a flaw in that word.

No comments:

Post a Comment