Friday, November 27, 2009

My Band is Smarter then your Band!!

http://theonlythingiknowforsure.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/battles_band.jpg

So your the son of one of the most influential Jazz artists of all time and you have a music background and you want to start a band. You look to your friends, they think your crazy. You ask your dad for help. He tell you to grow up. So, you do and you start an experimental indie rock band. You name the band Battles. After a stretch of EP's you decided to make a full length album. It's called Mirrored and your loved by all, even dad.

When I first heard this album 2007 I had no idea what the hell was going on. I loved it, but could not place my finger on it. I would crank up as loud as the stereo would let me. With the heavy drums and the vocal effects by Ty Braxton. Yes, his father is Anthony Braxton. One of my most influential people. It had a very interesting blend. That still ripples today.

http://cdn.stereogum.com/img/pitchfork2007/battles9.jpg

What makes this album just scream with joy is the band it's self. Loose and tight, they know how to keep it going and play as a four piece then anyone. They are all on the same wavelength and know where to put it. Braxton might be the talent, but he does not display himself as the leader. This band is all equal. When you listen to it for the first time, It might take a while to catch what he and the band are doing, but just listen and keep focused.

http://super45.net/images/2007/09/battles-01.jpg

Each song is a piece of the pie and they fit so well together. It's all so technical for us common folk, but what the band do is make it exciting yet fun to challenge the brain. You wonder about all the electronic with the acoustics, but it works without hurting and making a bad mix. This album will make you take all those indie rock bands that you listen to and throw most of them away. If all bands can be this creative then the music world would be very happy.

It is hard to say how this album is in today's chopped up corporate rock world, but I really think this album belongs far into the future and by then just maybe we will get it and understand it like we should.

It may sound like four guys fooling around, but there is much more then that. I cannot place the finger on it, but they have a creative power like no other. When I hear this album I feel like once I am done, I too want to create something like this with high IQ people. It is a monster, but one you can tame just by listening to it as a whole. Enjoy a really true 21st Century classic.

http://theonlythingiknowforsure.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/battlesmirrored.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment