Monday, November 16, 2009

I grew up a Classic Rock Junkie

http://www.morrisonhotelgallery.com/images/medium/Who-Woodstock.jpg

When I was younger I was always curious to find my way around the house looking for curios and relics of my parents past. I would find a reel to reel recorder or I would find old stamps, and one day I found old coins. I am sure these were coins that my father collected or he found. and some I know were my grandmothers. I also loved going through my dads albums. I pointed out in previous posts that he did not have the typical collection. It was Chicago, Blood, Sweet and Tears a Traffic album and some classic rock, but remember he was a product of the late 50's and early 60's he was past the curve when these Classic Rock stuff was coming out. He even had a Who Greatest Hits that was in some respect a good overview, but lacked the punch of just having a good selection. It was the stupid one with the British Flag as a suit. It introduced me to a band that would end up to be my favorite Classic Rock band of all time.

One thing I remember is I was 10 when it came out I did not really pay attention to it, but I remember the songs. One of the most popular for me was "I Can See For Miles." That song stuck with me not only because it was pretty cool, but as I started my addiction on Classic Rock it was one of the songs they would play on the Classic Rock stations that my dad even though late to the classic rock, would play. That song was sadly missing from that album. So I said to myself if this is a greatest hits why is this "hit" missing. Then I picked up "Who's Better, Who's Best." By then I was already an addict of the classic rock world. This "best of" had that song along with many others.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL83/520138/742607/234218611.jpg

So one day my friend asked me to go to the record store. I did a little research by reading the liner notes in that who best of I picked up. It talked about Tommy and Who's Next and I knew I could get those from my Uncle but one LP it mentioned was The Who Sell Out. I told my friend that when we get to the store I would like to find The Who Sell Out. I found it as a twofer with Happy Jack.

I got my wish I picked up the album and for a whopping $12.00 I had two complete Who albums. I also picked up another Classic rock staple "Incenses and Peppermints" single. That was my favorite song growing up. I loved the organ sound. I ran to the stereo and played The Who album with the funny cover and was so psyched to play it. It opens with a countdown of the days for about 30 seconds. I was like what is this, this is The Who the band that makes great Classic Rock songs. Then woosh it came together loud and great. The album continued like I was listening to a radio show. This was amazing and fun too. All these little breaks were astonishing and yet a part of the album. Then came my song "I Can See For Miles." It was amazing all this stuff I heard was leading to this. It made me like the album more.

Looking back, I made the right decision to buy it. I still do play it and get a laugh on how different this album is. It does tell some kind of story, but it does in such a way to get you the listener involved. I tell friends all the time that to me The Who turned a page with this album. This was what separated them from the rest of the British rock of the time.

If I could start anyone on a Who quest I would start with this album. I am sure we all heard Tommy or Who's Next too many times. If you listen to The Who Sell Out it may surprise you that beside all the fun and games that this album has each song is standing on it's own. I Can See For Miles is the icing on the cake. It truly is a treat to go back every once in a while and play it. I crank it up to full volume and just let it fly.

I had the pleasure early this year to pick up the 2CD re-issue of this album. I stood back and let the album play. The sound is crisper and a lot more fun then the 1996 re-issue. What's even more fun about this album is the mono mix. The Mono mix is like hearing a whole new world. Even the notes are so informative it gives you a close look at a real gem of a record.

So next time your at the CD store pick up this treasure from 1967. I will admit that 1967 is a tough year for me to like one album, but as far as my Classic Rock albums go this is one of the tops. So what you waiting for go get The Who Sell Out.

Such nice lads...They're so cute at that age...

No comments:

Post a Comment