Sunday, November 29, 2009

Don't Forget to Boogaloo

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjRonikhXtaBPIbyYVdquCIMpP2hft3scDngD5iullXvVBwWSPspM1k-C8i7S7-TCuK6-SvjvwVIKGZy52eUNya5wt6p4DJ7JS6F5RU2fc89KwNAEeuBn9zmKlzCo_riRpowRSlwZhmqcGl/s400/deeppurple2.jpg

So I was thinking today while I was listening to the radio in my father truck about Deep Purple. He asked if the song we were listing to was from Machine Head. It was "Smoke on the Water," and yes it was from Machine Head. He asked me where was my copy of it on record so he can play it when we get back.

Deep Purple is a funny band to me. I love them and hate them. I love then circa 1968-1973. That was the years that included the great Richie Blackmore and Jon Lord and I love Machine Head and Fireball. I also love the album that this post is going to talk about In Concert, but more about that later.



I hate them for the David Coverdale period which did not last to long. I think the only cool part about the hated period was Tommy Bolin. Bolin was and should be ranked as some of the best guitarist out there. Here is the other time I hate them when they did all these break ups that lasted 10 years between 1984-1994.

What I love is the the period of the band that included the classic lineup in the mid 90's that included Steve Morse in the spot of Richie Blackmore. Let me tell you, Steve Morse is an amazing guitar player. When I saw them in 1996 I think Richie Blackmore could have sued them for lick rites. that That was as close I saw a line-up I agree with. They continue on, but I have since lost interest because the departure of Jon Lord.

So I was wondering what I should do for the blog. Should I do Fireball? Should I even do Made in Japan. My first Deep Purple album I ever bought. Should I do the obligatory Machine Head like so many blogs before me?



I decided on In Concert and I will tell you why. I am a fan of artist when they love to test the waters with something new before the album is out. A good example is when I saw Charlie Hunter. He toured to support an album was out, but instead of playing that he played stuff from an album he was working on. It was fun and caught most of the audience off guard. Even though In Concert was issued in 1982, Machine Head was still a month away of being released when the 1972 part of In Concert was recorded. This part also first ever live performance of "Smoke on the Water" and "Maybe I'm A Leo."

The energy of this live stuff is amazing and very fun to listen to. What makes it more exciting is the 21 minute version of Space Truckin'. It blows most versions out of the water. It also grabs you and won't let go. Blackmore's solo is some of the best he has ever done. Just listen to the last 5 and half minutes of the song. The banter between song's is quite fun too. I came upon this one afternoon when I was a teenager as one of the classic rock station did these live archive shows of bands. They did people like Tom Petty, Aerosmith among others and they were live shows from their career. I used to tape these shows and the next day throw them in my car on the way to school. This one is still hiding in my collection. It is an amazing CD to listen to and it will replace any Deep Purple you have that is live, and quickly will become a favorite. Enjoy!!!

http://www.dennishanna.com/purple%2072.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment