Monday, February 1, 2010

Os Mutantes A Must Own!!!

http://dkpresents.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/osmutantes-788788.jpg

I know I talked about Tropicalia in one of my first posts, but I need to talk about the albums that had an effect on that kind of music. There are three or four important albums that had an effect on me and the first Os Mutantes album is the first one I would grab, and listen to. Os Mutantes was the first band I ever got into when I started listening to Tropicalia. It's fresh sound of Psychedelia, Orchestral Pop, Musique Concrète, and found sound and then you mix in Fuzz tone guitars and go-go basslines, and a little French Pop music and you have the Os Mutantes.

My journey began back in 1999 when I was going to New York to visit some friends and go see a show. My friend who lives in New York was going to the same show and also owns a fantastic record store called me the day of my journey. He told me that he found some music I will surely enjoy and to be prepared to keep my ears open. I was psyched to hear what music he had for me. Most of the stuff would recommend I really liked. He introduced me to all types of music and to artists that I would have not listened to otherwise. Some of these artist include Albert Ayler, Bang on a Can, David S. Ware, and others. I was eager to hear what he had for me to listen to.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjwDFYxLr1-FZQrINaNQyAKmSBkSpPA2mbx6ex-bCm3CPn9w2JkfB6NjijefEqOvIWMbMqnElFl_MEM9zZP2N7SCc68duB8phMD6wcHUGi7gjtFPoGaSGqQX148bvFcdaghk37nBVYwItGS/s400/aaOs+Mutantes+1178403217_f.jpg

I told my friend who I was with, that my friend who owns the record store, is a huge fan of all types of music and when he tells me he has something interesting for me I usually like what he has to offer. I have yet to find a recommendation that he likes that I do not like. I prepared myself for some new jazz artist he wanted me to listen to or some bootleg that he has of one of his favorite artists. My friend and I know each others taste well. So well, he and I flew to see Henry Kaiser and Richard Thompson together in San Fransisco. I went into his shop and he threw me a promo of the Os Mutantes. He asked me if I have heard of them. I shook my head no. He put the CD on and let it play. Before he did that he asked me to be quiet for just a few selections that he played from the CD. In those minutes of silence I was extremely impressed on what I was hearing.

I may have not understood the Portuguese lyrics, but I could understand that they were making rock and roll with all kinds of wonderful influences. My friend who was with me was also impressed by the rich musical sounds and everything they infused with the rock and roll they were doing. I was impressed with everything. I had no idea what to think. I asked him if their records are here in the states. He told me that this greatest hits is the first thing that has reached the states. The album was produced by David Byrne. I gave him back the promo. He quickly put in my backpack, and told me it was mine to keep.

http://www.papermag.com/blogs/OsMutantes.jpg

My friend who owned the record store told me about other artist from that period and told me to look for a package at my house. The two albums he was going to send me were Tropicalia 2 and the first Caetano Veloso album. The Tropicalia 2 was easy to find because it was out in America already, but the first Veloso album will take a bit to find. About two months later he found me both and sent them to me. In return about a few years later Caetano Veloso played one of the University's near my house and I got him a ticket. I was very grateful for that CD that he gave me. When I got home I played it a ton. I could never understand the words, but the music was amazing and yet why did we not know about here in the United States.

Os Mutantes are now one of my favorite bands. I have seen them three times and it is amazing. There crossing genres and showing their rebellious side shows how creative they were. The music they belong to is called Tropicalia and it is one hell of a subject. I mentioned in one of my early blogs, but this music really turned heads. If you want something that will be different, and your friends to think your crazy then go for it. It might be a tough find, but if you get their best of this might be the better way. Study this, like your studying a test, because music geeks such as myself will quiz you on what do you like. Enjoy!!

Os+Mutantes++1968

1 comment:

  1. Matt!

    Took you long enough to write about them! I would have thought this would have been your first entry. Either way, a good story about how friendship translates into good music.

    ReplyDelete