Thursday, February 4, 2010

Pink Wire= Kick Ass

http://www.pinkflag.com/assets/us/wire.jpg

At 35:37 Wire's Pink Flag may not be the shortest album in reviews of albums, but it has twenty one songs it more then likely the most complete short album with the most music. It is one of a few albums I would give someone to listen to and to experience. In same breath as Television, King Crimson, Radiohead, Ornette Coleman, Charles Ives and Can I can add Wire to that list of music that is a must listen. I have listened to this album a million times and it does not get old.

I think what makes this album unique is the way of the way the songs are structured. Some of the songs are not following the way music should be done. What Wire did was make them different bu leaving out a choirs or a for that matter even a guitar solo. Wire ultimately made their mark through unpredictability. Very few of the songs followed traditional verse/chorus structures — if one or two riffs sufficed, no more were added; if a musical hook or lyric didn't need to be repeated, Wire immediately stopped playing, accounting for the album's brevity. (AM)


https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjjVDhezQAJWVGtVABeQ_5i946ZrLE4xHWDG5xdjtV_IBcot82GREPXXqRlmXkRQMYAbAgU9FhrHJw-_2FpgY9HNs4IS0Fsl1etnO5pPaoFBV1mYJnv-_kMO2EoCluRwB6VVdzZ02UH_Ac/s400/wire.jpg

Many punk bands aimed to strip rock & roll of its excess, but Wire took the concept a step further, cutting punk itself down to its essence and achieving an even more concentrated impact. Some of the tracks may seem at first like underdeveloped sketches or fragments, but further listening demonstrates that in most cases, the music is memorable even without the repetition and structure most ears have come to expect — it simply requires a bit more concentration. And Wire are full of ideas; for such a fiercely minimalist band, they display quite a musical range, spanning slow, haunting texture exercises, warped power pop, punk anthems, and proto-hardcore rants — it's recognizable, yet simultaneously quite unlike anything that preceded it. Pink Flag's enduring influence pops up in hardcore, post-punk, alternative rock, and even Britpop, and it still remains a fresh, invigorating listen today: a fascinating, highly inventive rethinking of punk rock and its freedom to make up your own rules. (AM)

What got me into Wire was the fact they were suing a band for ripping off a riff and did not give credit for it. I thought the riff was very cool so I started to investigate on the band they were ripping off. I asked my co-worker about Wire and he told me how great they were. He handed me a CD of Pink Flag and told me to take good care of a gem of an album. I got right home and put it in the CD player and grabbed my headsets. From the first note on the first song I knew that I was going to be a classic. The lyrics were spot on and just a tough language to understand, but it was all great and wonderful.

I am not going to tell you how you should listen to this album. I am just going to tell you that you need this album. There are artist that never got recognized or maybe just they were too British for America, but now that this album has matured you should listen to it. It's a great album to get and put in your collection. "Rock Bloody Out"

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Third_Party_Photo/2008/05/14/1210799262_7461.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment