Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Flecktones Flying the Cosmic Hippo!!!



I have seen a lot of shows in my time. I tried counting the other day and I lost count after 100. After High School I went to more then my fair of shows. I mean in High School I did, a few but when I was at the local community college and even when I took the time off after graduation from that community college I ventured to many shows. Sometimes I went to four shows a week. If it was not at Toad's Place in New Haven, or New York City. I would go north to Northampton and see a show at the Iron Horse or Pearl Street. I saw great shows too. I saw Uncle Tupelo for six dollars and the second show would have Jewel. Or I would go see Jazz pianist Cecil Taylor. Whatever sparked my interest I would go see. The Iron Horse was the place to see any show though because of it's limited seating you could see anything and still have a great time. The Iron Horse hold 150 people tops. The musicians really appreciate the small venue when they get the chance to play.

While in High School a friend told me that he was going to see this new band at Toad's Place and wanted to know if I wanted to go. He new very little about the band but he had their first CD and let me borrow it. I gave it back to him and I saw sure. I mean a four piece band with a lead instrument of banjo seems exciting. I had no idea what I was in for.

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/bela-fleck-and-the-flecktones-at-yoshis.2775164.36.jpg

When I told my parents about the show, my dad laughed and said your seeing some country group that will play fiddles and sound like your at a country bar. My mother just told me to be careful and enjoy. There was no opener, and it was not a school night. The music started around 10ish or so. They played till 1am and that was even before the encore. My friend and I were fans ever since that day. I still call him to see if he could go to a Bela Fleck and the Flecktones show. He has seen them about 10 times while myself I have seen them about 25 times.

For people not familiar with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones they are a mix of Fusion, Jazz, Bluegrass, World, and anything else they can get their hands on. They are amazing live because there really is no set list and to top it all off they get crazy. They have so much fun on stage that the energy comes back to us and we give them inspiration. They do a few covers, like the Beatles, Bach, and anything else they can think of but most of the music is just fun to hear. They do jokes on stage to get us involved. One day they came out for an encore and each member got on someone else's instrument. It was quite fun. They would perform the whole encore which ran about 20 minutes. We were so impressed that they came out again, and went back to there instruments and did another 20 minutes or so.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/82/fe/99fe9833e7a0af6a859b2110.L.jpg

All 25 shows were different. The songs were different the music and extended jams were different. Maybe some of the same songs, but if those songs were repeated this time they were arranged different. Bela Fleck and the Flecktones shows are great. The three hour plus shows are amazing and also fun. They get you involved and most of all feed off the crowd and that works well.

Now to pick a Flecktones album. Well that was tough. They are all good. But the first show that I saw the Flecktones was for the support of the album above. Flight of the Cosmic Hippo is a really fun album. There are two covers that define Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. With all there mix of musical genres they still pay tribute to Beatles and also the "Star Spangled Banner." Quite fitting for a band who mixed most of American music into their own. It is a great album. Don't take my word it's a great one. Enjoy once again!!!

http://www.musicbox-online.com/photo-journals/flecktones-october-9-2007/flecktones4.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment