Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Stain Is My Colour

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51YMhJbAOKL._SS500_.jpg

Back in 1988 I thought I heard the best of the new music that was out there. Sure I was taking notes on what I should be listening to and what is being played now and listening to that. I did have a friend who was a bit older then I was give me pointers, but he and I shrugged our shoulders what we stumbled upon one night on MTV. We saw this somewhat political video with four black men. We payed close attention because the stereotype of that time was that if we see four black men on MTV they must be rapping. When I heard rap, I did not turn it off, but I knew they were going to say the same thing, but twist it another way.

I payed closer amount of attention when I heard the guitar work of one Vernon Reid. Then came the funky bass line of Muzz Skillings followed by the great voice of Corey Glover and then Will Calhoun hit those drums better then anybody I have seen. The vocal harmonies were great. The lyrics were timely and most of all very political. About three minutes into the video I hear this ridiculous, but very effective guitar solo. It was some of the best guitar work I have ever heard.

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/living-colour-2.jpg

Six months or so pass and that same friend tells me that the Rolling Stones are coming to the area and he wanted to know If I wanted to go. I did, but all I knew was their hits, but took the chance anyway. He came back later and handed me a ticket. I looked at the ticket and was so happy, but then I noticed something. The ticket said Rolling Stones with special guest Living Colour. That was the same band I saw in the video. I said to my friend that this band is sure going to get famous after touring with the Stones. It was practically overnight what the Stones did to Living Colour. They were a hit everywhere. I walked out that show telling my friend that the Stones rocked, but this Living Colour band is amazing.

Fast forward to 1991. My friend who I went to the show with is living in New York City. He calls me up and asked if I wanted to spend the weekend with him. I went down thinking we are just going to hang out, go out to eat and show me the sights. I was wrong. I was not 21 at the time so getting into clubs was an issue or was it. We went to a club I only dreamed of getting into when I was under 21. This club was called CBGB's. I remember walking into this club just a bit nervous. But then again I was in awe of all the people I saw on the wall who played there. Bands I then never heard of and bands I wanted to listen to. This was not Classic Rock wall, but it was a shrine of things unknown to me at the time. He told me that we are are here to see the band that opened up for the Rolling Stones. I said to him stupidly we are seeing Living Colour? I was giddy as a little kid getting kissed by a girl. It really is amazing to me they were going to take the stage at this club.

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/33859071/Living+Colour.png

They went on stage about 10pm and did not get off till 2:30am. This was amazing. They did not have a limit on how long they could play because they did not open up for anyone. They just played and played. They played their material and then put in some covers of Led Zeppelin, Bad Brains, Clash and James Brown just for fun. They even took requests. It was a really rockin' show. That night I was floating on air.

A few more years later CBGB's had a birthday and I saw the lineup and on there beside Patti Smith, Television, The Cramps, and just about everybody who played there. On this same bill that was held over a month Living Colour was added. I called my friend and asked him if he wanted to go. He told me that he had tickets for most of these shows. I was included in most of these shows. It was one of the most amazing month of music I have ever heard.

So now time to tell you about the Living Colour album. Stain is amazing. Not their best work, but it's still got some power. I recommend it just because Vernon Reid's guitar playing is some of the best. If you looking to try something harder and smart then I suggest this album. Check it out! Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment