Friday, February 5, 2010

Roxy Music Co.



"I tried but I could not find a way
Looking back all I did was look away
Next time is the best time we all know
But if there is no next time where to go?
She's the sweetest queen I've ever seen (CPL593H)
See here she comes see what I mean? (CPL593H)
I could talk talk talk talk talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath
Ooh show me"

Those lyrics are from the first song on Roxy Music's self titled album. They may be short, but that's all they need to get their point across. I started liking Roxy Music a long time ago, but when I got to college is when I realized how smart and artsy they really were. I still think they are one of the best bands in the world. I never could understand why I did not catch on sooner. I should have thoug, because they are great.

With the crooning of Bryan Ferry and the cool guitar work of Phil Manzanara to the R&B to atonal sound of Andy Mackay, and the odd electronics placed so well by the one and only Brian Eno. It was one of the most odd musical bands to come out of the 70's. Roxy Music defined the Glam Rock scene to a tee. It's a band that I would put in the same breath as Bowie or T-Rex. I would add a little Progressive Rock to it.

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/2932825/Roxy+Music.jpg

Roxy Music's eponymous debut remains a startling redefinition of rock's boundaries. Simultaneously embracing kitschy glamour and avant-pop, Roxy Music shimmers with seductive style and pulsates with disturbing synthetic textures. Although no musician demonstrates much technical skill at this point, they are driven by boundless imagination. But what makes Roxy Music such a confident, astonishing debut is how these primitive avant-garde tendencies are married to full-fledged songs, whether it's the free-form, structure-bending "Remake/Remodel" or the sleek glam of "Virginia Plain," the debut single added to later editions of the album. That was the trick that elevated Roxy Music from an art school project to the most adventurous rock band of the early '70s. (AM)

http://ladystarlightnyc.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/515hfguovl.jpg

What's so fascinating about this album is that it was recorded after the band was together for about three months. Most bands who are together for three months could not even get a few songs together, but this band created a whole album. Bryan Ferry before getting Roxy Music together was up to be Greg Lake's replacement in King Crimson. Pete Sinfield and Robert Fripp decided not to take that route. Thank god they did not, but we have Roxy Music who fit very well with Roxy Music. In 1982 Fripp was reunited with Ferry and King Crimson and Roxy Music did a tour together.

Well enjoy one of the best debut albums from the era of Rock and Roll that when first impressions were important and had to grab your attention. A must own if you can find it. An album just cries for you to go wow!! Have a great time at an album that will grab your attention and won't let go. By the end of the album you too will be a Roxy Music fan!! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. i wasn't able to find this one at my usual record store, they had some later period Roxy so i picked up Country Life. that one is pretty cool but i'm on the look out for this one since it has Brian Eno and i liked Here Come the Warm Jets a lot. the problem with a lot of the albums you write up is that they are either out of print, only available on import or just hard to find. either way, it gives me something else to search for when i'm out and about.

    -Fizz

    ReplyDelete