Sunday, February 7, 2010

Instr-"metal" Pelican

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/artsdesk/files/2007/07/pelican_band.jpg

If you asked me to listen to Heavy Metal again about seven years ago you would have been crazy. I mean I really thought what people could do in Heavy Metal had already been done. I thought they reached their limit with Black Sabbath and Slayer. My naive self told me to think that. I used to listen to new metal, but I did not feel the emotion that Slayer or Sabbath could have given me. Everything at one point sounded the same to me and that is why I stopped.

With that being said, I know do listen to Metal again. I would have to thank the following artists for their influence to bring me back into the Heavy Metal listening. These include; Isis, Slipknot, Sun o))), Kyuss, Mastodon, Neurosis, and lastly the artist I am going to talk about today the band called Pelican.

http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/wp-content/media/2009/02/pelican_band.jpg

Pelican has one thing those metal bands don't have. The sound of Pelican is instrumental. The power chords and wonderful sound is above par with everything else. The rough exterior makes for some really great music. The crunching sounds don't need vocals to add to the what they are doing. Matter of fact, the vocals would take away on what they are doing. Pelican has a way of creeping up at you and knocking you on your ass. That is one reason I like them.

I got introduced to them about two years ago by a friend who told me if I like Progressive Rock so much I should listen to some Prog-Metal. I told I do with Dream Theater and other bands, why should I dive into anything else. He told me that I am sure I would love it and sure enough he was right.

http://static.metal-archives.com/images/3/2/6/1/32616.JPG

With the album Australasia you have an album with a full plate of music that is soft and quiet on one side and on the other the loud, fighting to break free of all that happened before it. I suggest you listen for yourself and find out what really makes Pelican tick. In the days of people trying to show off to get that fifteen minutes of fame, Pelican just does what is natural and most of long. These songs are pretty long, but they have all kinds power and fun. Have a great time with this one. Enjoy!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Its strange you went with pelican on this one. Isis, Neurosis even your very own Cable, I could understand. I mean, didn't I read on here somewhere that you played drums? UGH!!!

    ReplyDelete