Sunday, January 31, 2010

Allman's at The Fillmore

http://www.israbox.com/uploads/posts/2007-10/1192596375_528582.jpg

Does anybody know why they are smiling?? I know three myths about their good mood. I was told this by a few people. One myth is that they know that the drugs are in and now they can have some. Another myth is that Duane spotted a dealer friend, raced over and grabbed a bag of contraband, then returned to his seat, discreetly clutching the stash in his lap. This cracked up all the members. The last myth is that someone farted and they all heard it and laughed as the camera work of Jim Marshall captured the moment. One day I asked Jaimoe one of the drummers from the Allman Brothers that same question. He laughed and told me it was a real simple answer to the question. "We were in a good mood." "none of us were fighting and the music was great and we were just having a good time."

Live at the Fillmore East was my first Allman Bros. album. I procured a tape copy from a friends father who told me that it was one of the best live albums ever. my friends father gave a few tapes that day. The other live albums he gave me were The Who's Live at Leeds, and B.B. King's Live at the Regal. I was excited to hear it all. He told me that I could keep them on the condition that I get him a copy of Live Dead by the Grateful Dead and that I continue giving him good music every chance I get. I made that promise and more.

Gregg Duane Allman

When I left him to go home I grabbed the Allman Bros. and let it play in my Walkman. I went for a ride. I quickly went back in time to 1971 and put myself in the audience at the Fillmore. I was there for the first of many nights at the Fillmore and I went to the show as a suggestion of a friend. I heard some songs on the radio and wanted to hear more. When they came out on stage and just with one note I was hooked. I came home from the bike ride telling my father all about this new, great band called the Allman Bros. He just laughed and said, they are not new, and yes they are great. It was the slide guitar work and the organ that put me in another world. I was not sure what to think. How could a band this good, not get mentioned in a first breath sentence as the the Beatles, Stones or Hendrix.

The next day I went over my friends house and asked his father if he had anymore Allman Bros. He handed me a copy of Idlewild South. He told me to take a listen to that and he reminded me that this is just studio work and it's just as cool. I took that home and gave that a listen as well and still was just as impressed as the live album. I wanted more live Allman Bros. I wanted something more.

Duane Allman Brothers

When you first listen to Live at the Fillmore East you wonder how much more magic was created on these nights in March of 1971 or for that matter every time they took the Fillmore stage. At the height of the Allman Bros career they were at the Fillmore more times than I can count. They were the definitive Classic Rock band. They played with and shared the bill with the Grateful Dead. It must have been a fun time to watch the Allman's in action.

I can listen to Live at the Fillmore East all the time and it could never get tired. Duane's guitar playing is amazing. Greg playing the organ sounded wonderful and fresh. The Allman's were one of the first bands to have two drummers too. I really think that made it cool as well. Each song has a moment that captures what the Allman Bros. did at their peak. There three really great extended jams too. Listen to "Whipping Post" one of the very few non Progressive Rock songs written in 11/8 and 12/8 time. It's a great way to end a great album.

duane allman les paul

I always tell you that you should listen to this or that and sometimes I tell you to buy this or that, but this is one you should rightly own in your collection. It definitely is a great conversation starter. I mean the seven songs on the album are a must listen. I love everyone of the songs on the album. I am not sure if I am going crazy, but I will go out on a limb and tell you that this is what Classic Rock is all about. After you pick this up find some of Duane's work with Aretha Franklin, Wilson Pickett, Boz Scaggs, Derek and the Dominos to name a few. He was the best guitar player at the time. He could do no wrong and at 24 it was a very hard passing. Classic Rock lives here and now it's your turn to own it!!! Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. This video will answer your question.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1akdibKMSk
    Straight from Butchy Bones mouth!

    ReplyDelete