Saturday, January 16, 2010

Red Blood Sugar Hot Chili Magik

http://espaciomusica.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/red_hot_chili_peppers_b.jpg

Back in 1989 I had the pleasure of seeing the Red Hot Chili Peppers with my best friend in New York City. I cannot remember much about the place or who opened or even if they opened for somebody but they were promoting an album called Mothers Milk. I do remember thinking how cool they were mixing Rap, Funk, Rock and Roll, Punk and any other musical genre. I also remember that they had more energy then I have ever seen. I walked out of that show wondering how much can they do and still sound so unique and original.

Then 1991 came and this time was another chance to see The Red Hot Chili Peppers in action. At this point I was ready. I saw they were on a triple bill. This triple bill included Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins. My best friend at college in New York told me, that if I can get to where he is at school he and I will go and see them. They had 3 dates in the New York area and we had tickets for all three. One of these dates included of all things his college. He did not tell me that until I got there. I was just learning how to drive and his father gave me a lift to see him. I spent 3 days with my best friend. I was soaking up the college life that would soon be mine. I met all kinds of cool people and people who loved music like I did.

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/Red-Hot-Chili-Peppers-w06.jpg

After those 3 shows in 1991 I came home thinking The Red Hot Chili Peppers could do no wrong. The album was still relativity new. I played that album to death. I thought it was the most funkiest album in the world. I could not imagine how four people could sound like seven. The singles from the album were okay. The only one I really liked was "Give It Away." The black and white video directed by Gus Van Zant was fun. I also liked the fact like The Black Crowes album I talked about is that the songs were continuous.

The album was produced was by one of my favorite producers Rick Rubin. Rick brings out the best in most artists he has his hands on. He did very well with Mick Jagger solo album and he did well with Johnny Cash. He gives an artist a feel of relaxing and enjoy the art they just created. I have a video of them creating Blood Sugar Sex Magic and you can see Rick have fun with them and encourage their creativity. It is amazing that this album was never the album that got me into them. It is also amazing that the Red Hot Chili Peppers cannot make an album this good. You may disagree, but if listen to any of their albums after Blood Sugar Sex Magic, you really struggle to find something this engaging from them.

http://mentaldefective.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/rhcp-blood-sugar-sex-magik.jpg

I am a fan of creative music. This album was and still is one of the most creative albums in 1990's rock. It maybe the best and shining moment in the Chili Peppers. Listen for yourself and really get into this album there are layers of greatness. Listen to "Breaking the Girl" the layers of guitars and mellotron's and bass is amazing. In the video you see them make some wonderful percussion sounds for the song too. It's so great to hear.

1991 had some really great moments for Rock and Roll. This is proof that some of it was amazing and fun. If you do own this album listen closely on how great this really is. I assure you that you will rediscover a wonderful gem that should be praised like any classic rock album. Have fun with some good old fashion Sex Magik!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. i fell in love with rhcp in 1995, one hot minute. their best album was californication, although stadium arcadium is great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw, krysilis830@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will admit that the Peppers have not sounded as good on BSSM since Californication. I had BSSM for a long time and I liked it but I might have been too young. Californication was a return to form, but they have gone downhill since. Stadium could have been a single disc, it was very long and boring. Now with Frusciante(?) leaving, I really wonder what the future of the band will be.

    I do believe they all got old and just can't funk like they used to, it happens. I jsut wish they would try and not be so cheesy and heartfelt. Nobody was as weird as them and nobody will be as weird as them. Nice one.

    -Fizz

    ReplyDelete