Sunday, January 24, 2010

Jeff's Dad is Happy!!

http://nobrasil.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/0161_tim.jpg

I started liking Jeff's father way before Jeff was on the music scene. I was about 15 years old and I picked up this Psychedelic Box set and Tim Buckley was on it. I did not buy the box set for him, but for the songs by the Byrds, Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Chambers Brothers, and Iron Butterfly. There were many others on this box that I had no idea who or what they were. It was a nice box set with very little information, but that information was enough to get me started on each artist that was represented on the box. It got me to understand what was around to listen to and where each period of the Psychedelic Movement did each song represent. It was fun and I was always looking forward to listening to it.

Over the years of listening to that box I started liking artist on there that I would have otherwise neglected. Those artists included Incredible String Band, Moby Grape, Pretty Things, Tomorrow, and lastly Tim Buckley. I am not sure what caught my attention with Tim Buckley, but I know that he was not like the other bands on the CD. He had a mix of Jazz, and folk. His voice too was very interesting. It sounded like I was on some island without a care in the world. I could never figure out how no one caught on to his music.

http://justwilliam1959.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/tim-buckley1.jpg

It was after I heard the Tim Buckley song on this box set is when I went out searching for the album. I was sure that what I heard was going to sound like that song I went everywhere to look for it. When I went to my two local record stores they did not even have any Tim Buckley. I found that odd. I even went to the book store where I hung out and asked my friend if he had any Tim Buckley. He was lucky to find some, but then came the bad news. He was able to get the album the song I had on my CD, but it was going to take about a month to get it. I was cool with that because it was able to be found.

It was a really long month and when I received that phone call I was psyched. I quickly got it home and put on my stereo. It was a hit in the house because it was mellow enough for my mother and cool and hip enough for my father to like too. What makes Happy Sad different then his other albums is the fact that he sheds his folksy feel for a more laid back Jazz style. He even makes the songs longer too. It may have only six songs, but each song is a meal and really tells a tale. Beside the song that I have on the box set, "Buzzin' Fly" is amazing. The big song that I still go back to is on here too. "Sing a Song For You" is one of his best written songs. That song ends the album and it is a perfect ending to ab album.

http://www.exclaim.ca/images/up-tim_buckley_2.jpg

The album started to lean towards experimentation and from this album on he would be come more and more experimental. He would sadly lose fans as well. Overall I do suggest you start here and work your way back. Jeff Buckley I am sure listened with this album and from there his ideas grew of the endless possibles that his father created on this album. If you don't own any Tim Buckley and love Jeff Buckley you should start listening and see what you missed. This is one of the finest albums from the 60's. Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment