Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Cornshop Good Shit!!!!

http://audiblevitamins.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/cornershop.jpg

In 1995 I was asked by a friend what new music have I been listening to. I gave him the usual answers; Flaming Lips, Radiohead, Beck, Pavement, Sonic Youth, Elliott Smith and PJ Harvey. He told me that was all well and good, but he wanted me to listen to something new and refreshing. I returned by saying to him that I been listening to a lot of Free Jazz and experimental music. He nodded and then handed me a CD by a band called Cornershop. It was called Woman's Gotta Have It. I gave it a listen and kinda liked it. It had a good sound and picked up on just about everything that was around at that time. A mix of Indie rock and Eastern music. It was lo-fi pop that got me interested. It did not have the heavy rocking feel of The Bends nor Washing Machine. It was unique with it's mix. I dug it. It was always in my CD player and it was quite fun.

Then 1997 rolled around. I was overwhelmed by the epic OK Computer. I mean I could not take my mind off of it. By the time my head stopped spinning I was listening to Portishead and Bjork, Spiritualized, Yo La Tengo, Modest Mouse and Ben Folds and many others. He handed me the new Cornershop. He told me that this is a must listen. I told him that there is so much music in front of me I am not sure when I can listen to it. He told me to throw it on when you feel you need a breather.

http://www.4ortherecord.com/assets/images/cornershop%201.jpg

I finally did catch my breath. I grabbed the new Cornershop. The mix of all these genres and styles was even more fun to listen to. It was cool to hear and really fun to hear a new fresh sound that was not even picked up on by the artists I have been listening to. I thought the music was fun and great to explore Indian music with the mix of western music. It was like they took the Beatles introduction to Indian music idea and ran with it. Cornershop's When I Was Born For The 7th Time is fun and exciting.

What makes When I Was Born for the 7th Time such a rich, intoxicating listen is that it balances these melodic tendencies with deceptively complex arrangements, chants, drones, electronic instrumentals, and funky rhythms, resulting in an album that becomes better with each listen. (AM) So, as I state all the time on this blog; If your looking for something new and different. This is the one that should be on top of your list. Enjoy this gem from 1997. By the way listen to the Beatles cover, it's a classic cover.

http://img.maniadb.com/images/album/172/172637_1_f.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment