Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Years Elasic Rock

http://musicaememoria.altervista.org/nucleus_elastic_rock_i.jpg

If you asked me about this time last year about this album I would have no clue what you were talking about. Around new years of last year I was not listening to this wonderful British take on Miles Davis Electric/Fusion stuff. I had no idea what a joy this album was. Then the death of the lead man of this band did not even faze me either. It was not till I went to Nearfest to know more about this great stuff. Nearfest by the way is a music festival for progressive rock nuts. I have seen Gong, Van Der Graaf, Magma, Hawkwind and PFM. All these are major progressive rock kings. In one statement that I heard Nucleus should be there too. This hidden gem is something that should be talked about more often.

While at Nearfest, a friend who I see at this festival the last time I was here told me about them. He told me how if I liked Keith Tippett I should check out this album. He also told me how forward thinking this album was. While each person plays a part in the band, the band it's self is a nucleus. He told me they were Electric fusion Jazz without the Miles chaotic direction. It was something I needed to hear.

http://musicaememoria.altervista.org/nucleus_elastic_rock.jpg

I took a chance and bought the CD. I also had them on a Vertigo records retrospective so I heard them without actually knowing about them. Sure enough I did. I played this retrospective many times with the intent to look up or find stuff I liked. It came to no surprise when it came to reading the notes with this retrospective that they were popular and had instant success.

Not long after I went to Nearfest I got an e-mail from that friend I saw there asking me what I thought. I told him I was amazed by the talent and the sound they had. I was also impressed by how the albums focus was not to copy what Miles was doing, but to take it a step farther. I told him that I wish I knew about this sooner. When I put this on today, it sounds like it had to be heard more. Everyone's playing is sharp and crisp. Ian Carr was a true original. When it came to know more about them they were featured in a Wire Primer.


http://www.kind-of-blue.de/bilder/concert/carr/ian_carr_1.jpg

The Wire Primer along with many listens gave me what the vision of this band was. It had a wonderful feel that was not Fusion or Psychedelic, but was more complex then that. The band could make these wonderful swirling sounds and Ian and the sax player Karl Jankins play the music they hear.

If you want to make a resolution to hear something new, then this is the album. This album has more feel after repeated listening. It is something you should not take serious, but it does help you that there is some music just waiting for your attention. This album may never put you in the popular status, but it might show that you are willing to try that something new, and that is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment