Saturday, January 30, 2010

I Owe James Brown Plenty

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/15/l_2221a32c79134414acfa3926a1bbb5e2.jpg

In my lifetime I saw James Brown twice and each time was amazing. My only regret is if I could turn back time and see him in the early 1970's. It may sound crazy, but that would be the biggest dream in the world. I started listening to James Brown when I was to young to understand what music was, but I do remember that his songs made me dance. I more then likely payed more attention to his early stuff and ignored the stuff that was important. His early 70's music was the stuff of legend. I would listen to my friends James Brown Box Set Star Time and be amazed. I borrowed it one day to make a copy of the cassettes and playing them all the time. I would drive to school blasting my James Brown and feel proud that I loved his music.

One day I took the four tapes of James Brown and randomly picked a tape (or CD) to put in the car. I had this ritual, and I still do where I would put together about twelve musical selections to rotate in the car so I could hear something new. I grabbed the James Brown for my ride to school. I had class kind of late, but I needed to do research on a topic for class so I left a little early. I put the tape in. It happened to be tape four from the Box Set. I maybe was not paying attention or I just was in a good mood, but tape four had some power behind it. It was fun and really funky. What was even better was the extended solo's that each member of James Brown was doing. It was great.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjP2Yn3fmtmP-HnXzW7Nj8RHLpCrCnK2WFSnvpjog7Gi5iwbup1pY_4XooXlbnFNTMRoTYmNFpvgaeWaUNpWE23HDk4-kl-u4lyvZF9lTR61lm9dLBr8ysJlD43h5T5H3mvoa548ElBf_c/s400/00-james_brown-the_payback-1973-igr-front_cover.jpg

I had to figure out where some of this 70's James Brown was unearthed. I always thought he had a few singles out and that would be that, but it was not to be the case. When I got back home I borrowed my friends Box Set and quickly looked at the notes. Some of these song's were singles, but others came from albums I never heard of like The Payback, Hell, Get On The Good Foot and There It Is. I had no idea if these albums were still around let alone some unreleased gem that this Box set found. I decided to look for myself at the local record stores I go to. I found them alright, but each record was like fifty to hundred dollars and was way out of my budget. Then my friend suggested that I go to the bookstore that I hang out at and ask if any of my friends have the albums and would be so kind to make me a copy. It turned out that no one had a copy, but one of them mentioned to me If I did come across one to make them a copy.

They did finally issue them on CD, but they were quickly bought. I had to wait until they showed up used somewhere. A few years passed and I was back at College and I went used CD shopping one day and there they all were. It was eight dollars each and all the ones I mentioned were there. I bought them all. I got home that semester and showed my friend that I found them. He was very pleased.

http://www.heyokay.com/images/Get%20down%20James%20Brown.jpg

The reason I chose one of these albums from that period of the early 1970's is the fact that they have the most effect of my James Brown listening. The Payback is an amazing album that clocks in at 73 minutes and is covered in four sides of vinyl. It is an amazing filled album with heavy on the Funk and the extended solos. Each member of James Brown band has this telepathic sense of where to fit the music so well. It's pretty close to perfect. I suggest that you do listen to this album. It was James Brown's crowning moment and sadly one his last great albums.

You need this album more then anything. It's a great conversation starter as well as a album to make you and your friends do a little dance. With the shortest song just about six minutes in length and the longest at close to thirteen it is a must own. I like the fact no how many times I listen to it it still sounds fresh when I first heard it. Enjoy and "get on the good foot" and enjoy a piece of history and most of all an era of music that was just that some of the best music in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment