Sunday, December 26, 2010

Smokin' With Wes



The first time I heard Wes Montgomery was on a CD sampler my uncle owned. It was not anything flashy, but the guitar playing was a bit more out of this world. Hearing that one song got me to think I should check him out. I guess the sampler served it's purpose and it did a good job of letting a naive kid who knew nothing about Jazz or Jazz guitar into a fan for life. The song was simple, but it was the solo that kinda caught me off guard. I loved guitar as a kid and now hearing this I wanted to learn how to play. I knew I was not going to be good as that, but hey I had to dream right??

What was great about Wes Montgomery was the fact he was smooth as silk and even better was the fact that my uncle told me that everything he does is great. There is nothing bad in his repertoire. I understood that and thought about how a man like this is not talked about with my friends. We all liked music, we even liked guitar type music weather it was Rock or Jazz. This is something I needed to hear more of. My uncle was kind enough to let me borrow a simple greatest hits retrospective of Wes's work. It was a good introduction and also a good launching pad on what to listen to and what to look for in future buys if I was going to find some of his work. Little did I know that his music would stick with me for a long time.



Everything on the compilation was a masterpiece of music. I could not believe that Wes's music escaped me for a while. When I was reading the liner notes to the tape it kept on referring to him in past tense. You mean he was no longer living. I could not hear a fresh new music by him? When I gave back the tape to my uncle he told me about his untimely death in the late 60's. My uncle did tell me that some of his best music was from the 60's, so all the stuff I needed to hear was in his collection. The notes in the tape even told me what albums to get. One of these was Smokin' At The Half Note. Two of the tracks were featured on the tape I borrowed. Those two were also the ones with the lasting impressions on me. The solos of Wes were crisp and most of all amazing. I never heard such great playing. Everyone including Wes were in fine form.

I was able to borrow Smokin' At The Half Note from my uncle and after just one listen I was convinced that Wes was the best guitar player in the world. Well, he in my opinion is one of my top fifteen. His solo's are great and the rest of the band was really on fire. They too were great musicians. Each person in the band was playing out of their mind. It was wonderful stuff to hear as a first time Jazz guitar listener. It must have been awful for people who are learning Jazz guitar because of the so little effort and so much ease Wes was playing these tunes. The one that was my favorite called "Unit 7" just blows my mind on how great it is. The solo by Wes has my jaw drop every time I hear it. It really is something. Pat Metheny even say's it's one of his favorites and I could see why. Classic all the way.



The album is great and really shows what a live performance can do to a musician. Wes, plays better then anyone here and I suggest that you pick it up as well. The guitar is wonderful and the he knows were to put those wonderful notes. I will tell you this, it's a great Jazz album that should not be missed and should be listened to closely and I am sure it will great to your ears as well. Check this out and I know you will be telling me "how come I missed this great album." Enjoy! Classic among classic's here. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment