Tuesday, December 28, 2010

"Nusrat, He's My Elvis"



The quote on the title of this post is from Jeff Buckley. He mentions this on the re-issue of his first EP, Live at Sin-e. He mentions to the small crowd that Nusrat is one of his inspirations. It is still a long list of influences that Jeff Buckley credits for being a musician. It is one reason you can hear some of this all over the music he put's out. It was not the first time I heard someone mention Nusrat as a person who should be heard. There are other people who also feel the same way. I heard Nusrat again back when I was not listening to Rock. I found his music soothing and really in some ways inspirational.

The music is called Qawwali or Sufi religious music. It is credited with leading Pakistani youth to discover and getting these youths to listen. The genre features dreamy, atmospheric keyboards and guitars, simple, mid-tempo rhythms, and a kind of low-key understatement that, depending on your point of view, sounds either profoundly mystical or else tedious and bland. I really don't find it bland, but I do find it a great eye opener as far as new musical worlds to explore. Nusrat is very hypnotic to the ears and I know it might take a bit to listen to him, but believe me it will be worth it in the end.



I did not listen to much international music when I was younger and the experimental year of 1996 changed my perspective. Working with a variety of music projects personally I got exposed to many of these world influences. Even the soundtrack to Dead Man Walking which featured a song with Nusrat and Eddie Vedder gave me more reason to listen to his music. I had a few world music albums in my collection, but I really did not look to them as something that was a needed listen. I wish I heard this music sooner then later, because I am sure I would have been better prepared.

I do regret that I never saw him when I was alive, but if I did I think I would feel the same way Jeff Buckley felt about him. Somewhere above I bet they are sitting together thinking on making the best album in the world. They would get a little help from Nina Simone and the rest would be history. I know I would be going wherever they would be up there and sitting in begging them to work together. The genre features dreamy, atmospheric keyboards and guitars, simple, mid-tempo rhythms, and a kind of low-key understatement that, depending on your point of view, sounds either profoundly mystical or else tedious and bland. With West African kora and electronic backing. It is really great music. Good music to zone out to, that is for sure.


"Sweet Pain" might be the strongest track, beginning deep in dream space with a wandering bassline and a simple backbeat, and then heating up to powerful close with Nusrat delivering spitfire scat. My still favorite is "My Comfort Remains" the wonderful skill of Michael Brook on guitar with the odd electronic loop and Nusrat's singing is pretty much magic for me. This stuff is great and the album Night Song is one of the best. Nusrat has a few out there. That too is just the tip of the iceberg. Check out Night Song. It's a good leap into the unknown and I am sure you will listen like I do and go "wow." Enjoy and don't forget to share with your friends.

1 comment:

  1. Night Songs is definitely good.... but if you really wanna know what ecstasy is.. try his traditional songs..

    ReplyDelete