Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Hot Zappa Rats

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/FRANK_ZAPPA3.jpg

Today on December 21st would have been Frank Vincent Zappa's 70th birthday. Kinda sad to see him gone. His music has always been a favorite of mine. I grew up listening to his music with my best friend and had the chance to even see him play once. He was a life changer. The music was so complex I still trying to figure out what he was doing. I really thought his early stuff was the best. I would listen to most of that early stuff and just try to understand what he was trying to do. It was just awesome the power he could do. What was more amazing was how he put it together all so well. What was hard for me was to pick an album not only for this blog as my favorite, which I did, but to find another one to write about that is just as good because truth be known, they are all great pieces of work.

I wanted to post an album that was part of his solo work. I did Freak Out and really liked talked about in a previous blog. I wanted to do a early solo album. I chose Hot Rats because that is the album once I first bought, I would not get it out of either my stereo or my CD player in the car. I loved it so much I think I overplayed the cassette. Every time I look at the cassette it looks a little worse for wear. It only had six songs, but those six songs had more music in them then anyone could do. Not only that, his backup musicians on this album were a who's who of people who intern would go on to other great things. These people include; Lowell George, Jean-Luc Ponty, Don "Sugarcane" Harris, and non other the Shuggie Otis.



From the drum opening on "Peaches En Regalia" to the cameo by Captain Beefheart this album truly shines. It really does have a working for a classic. Well, it actually is one. Someone asked me one day about my top five Zappa albums and this one and the other one I talked about in my blog are in my top five. Zappa's music from the late sixties was something that I have appreciated after more and more listens. The songs are full of so much that is going on. No one in there right mind could create this other then Zappa. Even better still is the music on this album is mostly instrumental. The only song that is not features the cameo of Captain Beefheart called "Willie The Pimp." It is to me one of the mot unique of all the Zappa albums.

While Zappa's music is mostly scene at something as humor, this album with it's instrumentals shows that Zappa can actually create really great music. The band is truly on and everyone put's in a very good performance. It's an album if I had friends who were talented enough to play, ( I actually do have some really great friends who are musicians) I would create such an album. The music is timeless and does not feel dated at all. I love every song on the album.



Zappa composed, arranged and produced the album himself. His primary instrument on the album is lead guitar. "Willie the Pimp", "Son of Mr. Green Genes", and "The Gumbo Variations" are showcases for his powerful and unconventional solo guitar performances. Four of the tracks have intricately arranged charts featuring multiple overdubs by Ian Underwood. Underwood plays the parts of approximately eight to ten musicians, often simultaneously. His work includes complicated sections of piano and organ, as well as multiple flutes, clarinets and saxophones.

Few albums originating on the rock side of jazz-rock fusion flowed so freely between both sides of the equation, or achieved such unwavering excitement and energy. With that being said, I do really think this is a no brainer. I would pick this up as soon as you can. Check out what happens when you have wonderful talent matched with the great Frank Zappa. There is enough to digest with the six songs and I know I will be thanked afterwords. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. this album and Joe's Garage are the only 2 Zappa albums i've ever really listened to. freshman year at Keene there was a guy on my floor that let me borrow those albums and i thought they were nuts. i haven't bothered to pick up any Zappa but i have been meaning to get Hot Rats again at some point. having albums like this handy is a good way to keep yourself, and others, on their toes when they go through your music collection. of course, for some of us that don't have 2 tons of music we have to make due.

    i was also able to order a copy of Trout Mask Replica through my work and once it comes it and i digest it i'll let you know what i think. i'm pretty excited to get it within a few weeks.

    - Fizz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget my review of Freak Out By Zappa and the Mothers Fizz. I suggest you get that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. over the weekend i picked up a copy of Hot Rats and spent my morning at work writing emails, listening to it and Trout Mask. to say the least it was a trippy way to start the week. it had been so long since i listened to Hot Rats that i forgot how refreshing it was in the jazz fusion canon. you really have to hand it to Zappa, the man knew what he was doing and he made it look weird. i love his guitar work all over the record and how everything just flows together so well. my coworkers think my music tastes are a little strange but who cares.

    -Fizz

    ReplyDelete