Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My Bloody Love



Okay there are moments in my musical listening that I completely missed, even though I had the tape in my hand growing up I really did not want to know about a band called My Bloody Valentine. I remember taking off the plastic that covered it and just putting it away. Why did I buy then to let it collect dust you ask, well because I guess. I sure wanted to know what it was, but at my age I did not want to know, this tape I had in my had was being listened to and I am not sure liked by some people that I hung around with. These are the same people who got me into what was called back in my day college rock. Yes that was the term for Green R.E.M, Cure, Smiths, Lush, Pixies, and other stuff that I kinda got into at the time. The My Bloody Valentine more then likely was above the college rock friends that I had. I just got the tape because the artwork of the guitar was cool. I did not listen to that tape until 1995 when my friend handed me a mix tape with one of the songs on it.

On this wonderful was my first listens of Blur, Pixies, Yo La Tengo, Flaming Lips, some other Radiohead beside "Creep," and others. It was a full 100 minute cassette with all kinds of cool things. The song by MBV was called "Loomer" it was a piece of music that sounded out of tune, but it had a interesting quality to it that I somehow missed all together. The music on this tape was a good tactic for my friend who had all these used at his CD store. I came in one day telling him how much I loved this or that and he have a CD stack with most of the music just waiting for me to grab something. Looking back, I think I would bought them all. This pile had some interesting stuff that I know now that I listen pretty religiously. Some of these bands I still see in concert. Examples, would include Radiohead, Primal Scream, Spiritualized and others. It was an interesting era for me to listen to a group of bands and really love and play them all the time in my car.



For about maybe three years I listened to this music because it was something that was a bit better then classic rock. It was about in 1996 (late) early 1997 that I rejected all this music for Downtown scene in New York City. I had about two years where I listened to the Downtown NYC Jazz scene. The music of the the early 1990's for me was so much better then hearing "Stairway to Heaven" for the 200th time. It was for me the time I really faithfully watched MTV 120 Minutes. I would see videos of this show or acts who played on stage and I would come to see my friend armed with music to listen to. I remember hearing Jesus and Mary Chain and loved the songs. It was different time where once in a while a alternative song would seep into the music that 120 minutes played into the mainstream. That is how Weezer got started. Really!!!

I really did enjoy that music that was part of my daily listen. It kind of took over what I was doing. I got into so much it became a blur. I grabbed that tape of MBV and put it on for the first time. The music engulfed me like the ocean current would take away the tide. I think I finally got that music. I understood it for the first time and at this point I really loved what I was listening to. The music was awesome and the lush guitar work was wonderful. The music even created a new genre of music called Shoegaze and with that a new world opened up for other artists to try and attempt to replicate.



Now that Kevin Shields is in better health and is slowly returning to the scene, he's explained that Loveless was something of an albatross for him, that he never could find a proper way to follow it. He should be comforted by the fact that no one else has been able to follow it, either. I've long dreamt of an album that was "Like Loveless , but more ," but I haven't found it. And so many hundreds of albums have tried. Perhaps this is the sound of a single idea perfected. We should move on and continue to explore the vast spectrum of sound and feeling music provides, but we'll always return to Loveless for what it alone can deliver. (pitchfork)

The album is considered a classic; it it worth it? Yea, I would say so, It's an album I don't play enough of it now, but once in a while I love to put it on and just really go and put myself in another place. The music is surely different then what was out there and what is out there now. I am not sure the magic could be created again. The album is unique and for me I love that. It might be the reason I like Jeff Buckley. If you ever hear or research his album Grace and the time it came out; who in their right mind would list Nina Simone as an inspiration. Same goes for MBV Loveless listen to this and really scratch your head and go "wow." Take a listen for yourself and maybe you can understand what it is to be unique. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment