Friday, December 17, 2010

ECM Records

Hey everybody!

Just to let everybody know I will be doing a radio show this Sunday coming December 19th 2010 on radio station WRSI. This show is going to feature the music of the man in the below photo. That man is Manfred Eicher. He is the man responsible for founding the record label ECM records. ECM (Editions of Contemporary Music) is one of the really most important labels that featured music in a new light. The music that is on ECM is Jazz, Classical, and some of the most interesting music you will hear. The music might be challenging, but it is fun to hear the sounds of the early years which I am doing part one of. The music on this show will feature the acts that defined ECM as a label. These artist included here are people who I have featured on my blog like; Terje Rypdal, John Abercrombie Keith Jarrett, Jan Garbarek, Gateway, Pat Metheny, Egberto Gismonti and Collin Walcott. There are songs on this show that don't really fall in the Jazz or Classical spectrum. They are worldly and quite interesting. I really cannot explain the sound, but listen to the show and I am sure you will love it.

The reason I did this show is because of my love of ECM records. Back in the early years of my listening I came across these "budget tapes" of ECM albums. They were not that expensive, but they were different. The artwork or the people playing it was new to me and I wanted to try something new. I first started getting the cassettes. These were easy to find every store I went to. Not that they were cut out for a reason, but ECM changed hands in distribution from major labels four times. First, was Warner Brothers, then Polygram and then BMG or RCA. Now they are part of Universal music group. I got these tapes and after a while I started buying the LP's. In my collection I have about 300 released LP's and about 100 cassettes and CD's about 300. I also have a bunch of ECM stuff I have downloaded. I have a bunch of albums that way too. The music is something you don't think at first would make an impact, but to me the label is more forward thinking then most. While some labels want money and profit, ECM is different. They want the artist to be themselves and make the music they want. Early years you could get an ECM of music that had cello and guitar or music that was just solo piano. Whatever it was it was something that Manfred Eicher understood.



Well, enough about the mini education. I just want you to listen and enjoy! Any questions?? let me know. The web address is www.wrsi.com. Click the listen live feature and I will be on from 9pm-11pm EST. Sunday night. Enjoy and be prepared to get a little cerebral with your music. It's one of my passions is to explain to people why ECM is so important. Enjoy!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0d/ECM_Records.jpeg

1 comment:

  1. show will be December 26th at 9pm! Thanks in advance for listening!

    ReplyDelete