Friday, December 17, 2010

"Once you've heard Beefheart," he said, "it's hard to wash him out of your clothes."



Dear Don Van Vliet,

I first heard you back when I was in High School. I heard you on some radio station that I loved hearing odd musical selections. It was a radio program that introduced me to people like CAN, Love, Blue Cheer, early Frank Zappa, The Fall, This Heat, The Feelies, and of course you and your wonderful poetry and music. I did not know what to think of your music at first, but after a few listens I realized that I liked what you were doing. The music was complete different in what I was listening to at the time. I learned that your music had deeper meaning then at first listen. The music and the musicians you had playing this stuff was pure genius. I learned that you really did see everything a bit differently then most. I had deep respect for that because you see I was different too. My world of being a geek and getting laughed at withdrew me from normal things. Yea, I know it's part of a High School thing, but I really thought your uniqueness made me feel better that I was also different.

I wish I had the chance to see you play. I bet you and the band kicked ass and took no names. After high school I listened to more and more of your stuff and each album grew me more and more interested in your stuff. Your poetry was a gift that I never have seen since. I kept on loving what you did and as a young adult I tried my best to tell people about you, but most people wanted to hear the latest crap that was out. They were not interested in your way of seeing the world. If you continued with music I am sure you would have had some great stuff to say. I wonder what you would have thought! God, only knows!

Over the years your music has so much meaning to me and it really expresses so much to this really messed up world. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart and thanks for the great memories that you brought to me. You will be one of my true favorites and thanks for everything.

Peace and Love,
Matthew

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/beefheartmagicband.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment