Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Further Out Dave



When Bill Bruford was asked the question about his favorite Jazz albums on some show he was quick to point out two important albums that changed his life. The first one was My Song by Keith Jarrett, Jan Garbarek, Palle Danielsson and Jon Christensen and the other was Time Further Out by the Dave Brubeck Quartet. He mentioned to the interviewer that this was the Jazz he wanted to play. He was already in a variety of Progressive Rock groups when My Song came out and Bill mentioned that He wish he got the call from Keith Jarrett to play with him. He mentioned how these albums struck a perpendicular chord like no other albums.

On Monday Dave Brubeck turned 90 years young. The man who more then likely has scene it all in his lifetime. The music of Jazz has taken some unique and some really interesting turns and a man who not only can play a great piano had some young Anthony Braxton play Saxophones on an album. The music of Dave Brubeck is discussed in all those Jazz classes we take in High School or College. There is one exception to this rule. Who talks about the album called Time Further Out? It's a classic example of using different time signatures to keep you guessing that music does not have to be always in 4/4 time. I am guilty of listening to some great music that is not in the normal 4/4. I mean listen to Eric Dolphy Out To Lunch. There some crazy ones in that masterpiece.



When my History of Jazz professor mentioned how popular Dave Brubeck was in the each household of the late 50's early 60's I had to test this theory. I know my dad loved him so I turned around and asked him the question. How popular was he dad? My father responded by telling me how hip at one point was to own Time Out. He told me how great the music was and how cool it was to own at least one Dave Brubeck album in the collection. My father showed me seven in his. It will be something I always remember that my father's Jazz collection was not eclectic but it had some substance to it.

I asked him about Further Time Out and he told me he never had a chance to get that when he was younger. He told me he moved on to listening to the music of Chuck Berry and Ray Charles by then. I do give my father credit for introducing me some great music, but his choices were a bit odd. The oddness of Dave Brubeck was just the start. The music alone did not follow conventional form like other music of the day. I think that is what appealed to so many fans. He was hip and not square like the musicians of the time. I mean hearing Time Out or even Further Time Out was different is some way. I liked it and it was catchy.



The music of Dave Brubeck is timeless and what he has done for Jazz is some of the best music out there. His "Take Five" from Time Out is one classic. If you really want to hear some of his greatest music then listen Further Time Out. Even the song "Unsquare Dance" will have trying to bop along to his music. Take a different path in Jazz and try this album out. I am sure it will be a welcome addition the Miles Davis and the John Coltrane. Enjoy! Have a blast from the past with this one. Then when done with this album explore more Dave Brubeck and even at 90 he still amazes us with his music. Seeing him live is another story. Check him out and you know why he is on the high mountain of Jazz people.

No comments:

Post a Comment