Sunday, August 1, 2010

Let The Family Meet John Hiatt



The first time I saw John Hiatt was on Letterman in 1990. He was playing a song called "Real Fine Love." The lyrics were great and the band was killer. I thought he was fresh and did not have that grunge feel and most of all it was very roots oriented and had a great rough sound that needed no polishing, it was just fun. I liked it because it did what it needed to do, sound great and fresh and most of all really gritty. I was liking the fact that he was in his own world, rocking out with the best and did not care who he did or did not impress.

I was a subscriber to Columbia House and one day I decided to buy the album that I saw on Letterman. It was not expensive so I figure I start there. I got the tape in the mail and I decided to drive work. When I pulled in the parking lot my co-worker asked me if that was John Hiatt. I was shocked to know that he knew who he was. I told him yes and this the only album I had of his. The next day he gave me a John Hiatt album Bring The Family. He told me that this where I should start. It was a good thing I did, because this album is one of his best.



I sadly knew only one artist on that album at that time and that was Ry Cooder. Ry was and still is an amazing guitar player. The other two I heard of but could not place where they were. When I placed the album on the turntable I got this feeling from the first song that I knew I was in for a genuine great album all the way through. The guitar work of Cooder and the wonderful steady drum beats of Keltner and holding the bottom of Nick Lowe. The groove of the songs could be felt all over it.

Sometimes the simple roots are the best. Every song is a keeper. This album also has one of the most frequently covered songs. "Have A Little Faith In Me" has been covered by people like Bill Frisell, Joe Cocker, Jewel, Mandy Moore and so many others. When you hear it it sure does sound like the world wants to cover it. It seems to be his most popular song in concerts too. The fans really do love this song. Another song on the album revitalized a wonderful career of one Bonnie Raitt. She won a ton of Grammys for a song called "Thing Called Love." If you heard both originals by Hiatt you can see that he really does have a talent for song writing. His fans are loyal and you can count me on that loyal train. Seeing him live is a treat and his storytelling between songs is great too. I saw him so far a total of seven times. My personal favorite on the album is "Memphis In The Meantime" a wonderful R&B fueled rocker with some great punch. It really shows that Hiatt has a few things up his sleeve and shows that he can and write a damn fine song.



Bring the Family was recorded after a period of great personal turmoil for him, and for the most part the archly witty phrasemaker of his earlier albums was replaced by an wiser and more cautious writer who had a great deal to say about where life and love can take you. But Bring the Family isn't an album about tragedy, it's about responsibility and belatedly growing up, and it's appropriate that it was a band of seasoned veterans with their own stories to tell about life who helped Hiatt bring it across; it's a rich and satisfying slice of grown-up rock & roll. (AM)
What makes this more exciting is the fact the next album is just is great. Slow Turning is got his wonderful gems down and wonderful presented. He even has the great Sonny Landreth on guitar that album.

So if you want something simple, fun and lyrically wonderful then I suggest you start here. The music tells more stories then I can, but it is a wonderful story. Each song is like a novella and is a great yarn about what John Hiatt can only tell. His world was full of ups and downs and all this is the top of his song writing. It's Rock and Roll at it's best. Enjoy!

Sure I like country music
I like mandolins
But right now I need a telecaster
Through a vibro-lux turned up to ten
(Memphis In The Meantime lyrics)

No comments:

Post a Comment