Friday, August 27, 2010

Sssh The Secret Words Are, Built To Spill



Back in 1997 MTV did a feature on up and coming bands hitting the college circuit. I knew that I was not going to a college that these bands were featured I fugure I ask friends who they had coming for these spring weekends. One friend told me that one band they were getting was a band called Soul Asylum. Another friend told me that he was getting some band I never heard of and still to this day cannot remember. Good thing, because they never made it big. But one band that another friend had was a band called Built To Spill. I saw the TV special and thought that this was my chance. I had nothing to loose, hey the price to see them was cheap and the music cannot be that bad. What I heard was great. If it was the only good song at the show then I was cool with that.

At the show my friend too had heard very little and was excited. He wanted something good that year because last spring they had some pretty crappy bands come to the college he was at. When I told him what I saw them on MTV and it looked pretty good he was hoping I was right. The lights dimmed and we were ready. After the first song we were screaming for more. He looked at me and told me that this was awesome. Song after song they got better and better. I think I found a new band. I really liked their heavy Neil Young and Crazy Horse moments and I also liked the lyrics to their own songs. What was the kicker was a version of "Cortez The Killer," a Neil Young song from the mid 70's and one of my favorites. They played this for about fifteen minutes. The crowd loved it, but I am not sure they knew what it was, but I did and I was really happy. At the end of the show I went to the merchandise table and bought a few things.



Built to Spill is a band that I would easily put in my top 20 list. They are full of great lyrics and also great albums. Even better they are awesome live. Their obvious influence of Neil Young is really scene when you see them live. They cover his songs with long and full of energy like no other. Take that live album that put out. As I mentioned above, only Built To Spill could do something like that. Yea, you may say that Pearl Jam can do it as well, but can they really play a song twenty minutes and keep the song intact like Built To Spill. That I think what makes Built To Spill so great. They are good at keeping the attention of songs like that that you are transformed into a time where this music is so good. There covers are just wonderful and you feel like they actually wrote the songs.

The music of Built To Spill is got some great hooks, and most of some catchy songs. Each time I hear a song by them I feel like that I know the words and I can sing along with them. The wonderful interplay of guitars and Doug Martsch vocals and lyrics are something I always thought was Built To Spill's strong suit. On the Built To Spill Keep It Like A Secret, the opener is the killer. Many bands wish they could have an opener like "The Plan." The words, the music it's all right there. What the band does so well is the fact that all those long song's on previous albums (what drew me to them in the first place) now these short blasts of twists and turns are in shorter form. Built to Spill still demand that listener meet them on their own terms -- these just happen to be the easiest terms to understand in their catalog. (AM)



you were wrong
when you said
everything's gunna be alright
yeah you were wrong
when you said
everything's gunna be alright

you were right
when you said
all that glitters isn't gold
you were right when you said
all we are is dust in the wind
you were right when you said
we are all just bricks in the wall
and when you said manic depression's a frustrating mess

you were wrong
when you said
everything's gunna be alright
yeah you were wrong
when you said
everything's gunna be alright
you were wrong
when you said
everything's gunna be alright

you were right when you said
you can't always get what you want
you were right when you said
it's a hard rain's gunna fall
you were right when you said
we're still running against the wind
life goes on long after
the thrill of living is gone
you were right when you said
this is the end

Do you have to think about it?
Do you have to think about it?
Do you have to think about it?
Do you have to think about it?



Every song on this album is a true gem. It will make you wonder why this band is not on the top of the world. Well, in my world they are just great. Well done, and full of great energy. Like the lyrics above for "You Were Right" Those words are so great and still is one of my favorite songs ever. It's well done and the music that goes along with it makes it just great. I have seen them a few times and still in awe on how they pull it off so perfectly. Built To Spill is one band no matter what they do, they still are fresh and wonderful to the ears. This is a great album with along with their others make a case for Built To Spill being one of the best Indie Rock bands ever. They maybe be on a major label, but they are not minor by any means. Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. i can remember trolling through the CD's at my library and found their album You In Reverse and i was impressed with the guitar work on it. i never went out and bought anything by these guys but i may consider adding them to my shopping list the next time i am at Newbury's, which will probably be too soon. are you taking requests? review a ween album sometime, i've always been interested in them but i don't know where to start.

    - Fizz

    ReplyDelete