Sunday, August 8, 2010

Gil Scott Live!



Once again I will choose a bootleg instead of an album. I am doing this for one of my all time favorite person who is the father of many things. He is the father of Hip-Hop, he is the father of political activism in music. His message is direct and to the point. There is no way around it and to him these issues should be addressed right away, because if they are not then they will get much worse and the repercussions are something we cannot ignore. Gil Scott-Heron was very good at getting these ideas to many people. Sadly, the white audience almost ignored his thoughts and ideals. I think he did and still does have a lot to say. Much of his work was a collaboration with musician Brian Jackson, and together the pair created a musical fusion of jazz, blues and soul music that touched upon many of the important social issues of their time.

I chose this bootleg because a few things convey more to an audience then a fresh audience to let them listen to what you have to say. There are a several albums that you should get, but live is the way to go. It maybe a bit dated since this recording is from 1977, but it shows how really aware in this society and even more he felt like there should be some kind of action. Gil Scott-Heron made a lot of things cool and his words rang out to many many people. Here are some of the words to his most famous piece.

"You will not be able to stay home brother
you will not be able to plug in, turn on and drop out
you will not be able to lose yourself on skag and skip
skip out for beer during commercials
Because the revolution will not be televised
The revolution will not be televised
the revolution will not be brought to you by xerox
in 4 parts without commercial interruption
The revolution will not show you pictures of Nixon
blowing a bugle and leading a charge by John
Mitchell, General Abrams and Spiro Agnew to eat
hog moss confiscated from a Harlem sanctuary
The revolution will not be televised."



The greatness of Gil Scott-Heron is the fact he was very observant of the media. Even before the John Stewart's and Colbert's of this world he knew what exactly was going on. He knew how things can get repressed or pushed away so we don't have to see it. In the age before the internet, Gil Scott-Heron knew where to find it and make sure his audience was aware of what is happening before their eyes. There was very few of these social people in the world of the 1970's. Gil Scott-Heron did what he knew what to do, make us aware that it is happening and we should stand up and do something.

When I first started getting into Gil Scott-Heron was when I was at the community college and one of the professors mentioned social awareness in a class. He lectured us what to do in society to stand out and actually make something of ourselves. He also mentioned to us that there are very few people who can speak about this and he mentioned people he admired for what they did for change. He mentioned Gandhi, and MLK, and others, but the name Gil Scott-Heron was one from his youth he liked. I asked him about Gil-Scott after class and he told me to come see him in his office tomorrow and he would have a mix of his music. He told me that most of these albums were out of print. Back in the early 90's, none of his albums were around at stores. He filled this 90 minute cassette with some of his best work.



I took this tape home and played it a lot. My father even said something to me about him. He told me that he was a man who spoke his mind very well. I still wonder how of all people my father knew him. It must have been someone at work that talked about him. He worked with everybody and I am sure he heard it through them. The 90 minute cassette had a few pieces that where pretty damn good. I really wished at that point they were on CD so I can at least see them in some kind of original form.

A few years later, just before I went back to college I had someone come over the house. I did not recognize the car in the driveway. When he came to the door, it was the professor from my community college. He told me that he had something for me. When he handed me the package I was surprised to see that there were a few Gil Scott-Heron CD's. He told me that since they are out on CD now that he figure he give me a few of his favorites. There was three all total and he told me my first assignment when I went to college up north is to write a review on one of them and e-mail to him. It had to be at last two pages. I laughed and I did what I was told. Not only was the stuff that he gave me previously, but the stuff on the other albums were awesome.



When I found this bootleg, I quickly made him a copy and gave it to him. He told me that he saw him that year, but could not remember where he did. He was excited that I returned the favor. The next day I got a phone call from him thanking me for giving back his memory. "Gil Scott is one of the best," he said. The album was just what he wanted. Most of the tracks on here are to promote the album he just put out. Bridges is an amazing album. Like the live album it's fresh and so badly neglected.

If I can suggest that you go to the link below. That is where I got this bootleg. It is a wonderful soundboard show and I suggest you get it. It really does show what Gil Scott-Heron has for talent. His music tells better stories than I can. I hope that is the start of your Gil Scott collection and from there, who knows, but the music and words will definitely help you out on what to get. He is a true figure that speaks volumes. The interview with him in the new Waxpoetics is also pretty damn good. Check out a true gem. Enjoy!

http://neverenoughrhodes.blogspot.com/2008/09/gil-scott-heron-live-at-bottom-line.html

No comments:

Post a Comment