Monday, August 16, 2010

The Wonderful Warren Zevon



So much to do, there's plenty on the farm
I'll sleep when I'm dead
Saturday night I like to raise a little harm
I'll sleep when I'm dead

I'm drinking heartbreak motor oil and Bombay gin
I'll sleep when I'm dead
Straight from the bottle, twisted again
I'll sleep when I'm dead

Well, I take this medicine as prescribed
I'll sleep when I'm dead
It don't matter if I get a little tired
I'll sleep when I'm dead

I've got a .38 special up on the shelf
I'll sleep when I'm dead
If I start acting stupid
I'll shoot myself
I'll sleep when I'm dead

So much to do, there's plenty on the farm
I'll sleep when I'm dead
Saturday night I like to raise a little harm
I'll sleep when I'm dead



Warren Zevon meant a lot to me and with his passing we lost one of the boldest and outspoken musicians out there. His lyrics were something that we wished we could write. The world lost a great hero and a man who Rock and Roll would never be the same. His strange, sardonic opinions of life in his musical lyrics, composing songs that were sometimes humorous and often had political or historical themes. He will always be remembered in the musical world for his song for the movie An American Werewolf in London called "Werewolves of London"

What I loved about Warren Zevon was his humor. When I saw him at the Iron Horse, a small club up north from me. I saw a man who was like a stand up comedian and storyteller. He told us stories about how each song was created and what he thought of them. It was just a great solo acoustic show and he invited all of us to join in on the songs that he made famous. He would talk about what was going on in the world and how he wanted us to stand up for what was right and what we could do to make our voice count. He also mentioned about how odd it was to open up for the Grateful Dead one year and few years later play for 150 people in a small club such as the one I saw him in. I too saw him open for the Grateful Dead.


(Warren Zevon checked by "Dr" Hunter S. Thompson)

Warren was a cult figure in the world of music, but people like Fleetwood Mac, Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt, David Lindley, and the Eagles all thought he was someone to admire. This also was seen later in life where David Letterman put him on many times including near the end of his life he kept him on the whole show for music and interview. It was quite touching to watch. He was honest and to the point. He knew he had a few months to live and he put out a touch and heart warming album called My Ride Is Here. He had Hunter S. Thompson write a song with him and on the album they performed together.

He touched a lot of people and I know I say that about many people in this blog, but for me his words made me laugh and understand the true genius of Zevon. I wish he was still alive because I am sure he have something great to say about the world and everything that is happening. He is a man who could see something happen like the recent oil spill and I am sure he would have a riveting story about it. His legacy in pop culture will always be remembered.



When picking a Warren Zevon album I had to think about it for a while. It was tough because I own a few classics and a few that are just good rock albums. I had problems because each album is unique and tells something like a chapter in a book. Each has a reflection on the past, but his head is clear in the future. Each album has a song that is a great teaser or theme to the album. But picking his first was the best way to go. His first and self titled has some wonderful pieces like the words from the song at the top. "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead" is a wonderful song and something I often quote when I am burning my candle at both ends. Another is the classic and often overlooked "Carmelita." I used to hear that many times in my uncles car. He used to play that song all the time. Another favorite and played not to much, but gains classic status is "Poor, Poor Pitiful Me." A great rocker with a wonderful story. My advice is start with this album and I am sure you will, like me just love his music. Enjoy!

Poor, poor pitiful me
Poor, poor pitiful me
These young girls won't let me be
Lord have mercy on me
Woe is me

Well, I met a girl in West Hollywood
I ain't naming names
She really worked me over good
She was just like Jesse James
She really worked me over good
She was a credit to her gender
She put me through some changes, Lord
Sort of like a Waring blender

No comments:

Post a Comment