Thursday, August 12, 2010

Coltrane Live



The other day I was in New York to see Death, remember I talked about them in a previous blog? They were great and the rest of the music that day was wonderful. I passed all big Jazz clubs I used to go to. Places like Iridium, Blue Note, Village Gate, 5 Spot (which is no longer there), and of course the Village Vanguard. Each have a unique place in history. I did not go to those places as often as I did the Knitting Factory, but I will admit I saw some great music at some of these places. Iridium I saw Cecil Taylor solo and quartet, Blue Note I saw really to many to count, but I saw people I more then likely will never see again. Not because I don't want to, but we are all getting old. Same thing at the Blue Note, some great acts in my day. But passing these wonderful landmarks reminded me of John Coltrane and the time Jazz was hip and cool in the late 1950's and early 1960's.

That time was definitely legendary and once again the time machine would have helped me to that time period. I wish I was a lot of these shows seeing Bill Evans, Coleman, Dolphy, Mingus, Davis, and of course John Coltrane. All these artist and many more I would want to see. Jazz in the 60's was exciting and revolutionary. The music was different and there were many different styles. I wrote a thesis paper for class about this. My topic was about how Jazz was so revolutionary in the 60's that it was almost forgotten. It is one of my favorite periods and genres of music creativity.



When I look back at this period, I see many of my favorite musicians try something different. I mean, Miles started Fusion, Mingus did a little more then Avant-Garde, and Coltrane did free Jazz. All this stuff had some effect on the whole Jazz genre. I am sure I missed someone, (god knows where I put that paper) that is important in that period. All this was stuff I treasured and respected. I also wondered with all this great stuff how was I going to focus on certain albums. When I thought about this blog my intent was to talk about these artist as a whole and focus on that. I did that with Bill Frisell. There are so many great albums he has done. Same goes for Ornette Coleman. His Atlantic recording are some of the best. Miles Davis as well, his catalog in the 60's is amazing. I just happened to choose one from 1974. Most of the stuff was recorded previous years of 1969-1971. With Mingus he too was someone who's stuff had an amazing catalog of stuff. Lastly, John Coltrane was difficult. I chose a live Box Set from his most important era.

John Coltrane Live at The Village Vanguard is an amazing set. Even when some of this was put out in 1962 it broke down Jazz barriers that needed to be broken. Like Ornette Coleman who radically changed the music that he did. John Coltrane changed our whole world in music. I remember buying the single CD of John Coltrane Live at The Village Vanguard and in shock how this is saw great and raw. The group of musicians on this album are also a who's who of the Jazz world. With John Coltrane's regular crew of Jimmy Garrison, Elvin Jones and McCoy Tyner there are also Roy Haynes, Eric Dolphy, Reggie Workman and others.



This box set was issued differently back in 1962 with four different albums of live John Coltrane. This was the first time that they were all put together and remastered with wonderful sound to make you transport yourself back to 1962. Every selection of music on this box set is changing history and the way we see Jazz. In high school my jazz was very simple and straight forward. I would listen to Blue Train by John Coltrane and thought that was the best. When I took my first Jazz History class my opinions changed. There was more then one Coltrane I should hear. The music I heard was wonderful, fresh and vibrant.

John Coltrane is an American institution. His music should be talked about like they talk about Miles Davis, Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus and countless others. His world went through so many transformations it is astonishing of his range of ideas and thoughts. John Coltrane's collection in my house is pretty big. I have a bunch of his stuff ranging from 1955 to his death in 1967. The music does not stop there. I have a bunch of re-issues and music that should be in anyone's collection.



John Coltrane is a big figure in my musical loves. There is so much out there that should be accessed and with that I present you with something live. Sure, there is Love Supreme or Giant Steps or even Blue Train, but nothing beats a live album. It shows what a man of his importance can do. Many of John Coltrane albums have a lot of importance no matter if they are the ones I just said. I mean My Favorite Things was the first ever Coltrane album I ever picked up. Issued in 1961 It is also considered a classic. I just want you the readers to hear the album that defines his live presence. There is not many if any except for this stuff that was actually out when he was alive. The live John Coltrane is enough to get you into him. His music is extraordinary, and yes it should be for you to listen.



I wanted to make a side note that each of the four CD's represented in this box set have some great music and each has a great lineup that interplays so well with Coltrane. There are four different groupings with John Coltrane on the last lineup is represented with two songs. Too bad that there is not more to talk about with them. But each group is worth a study. I will apologize for any incorrect information I might lead you down. But each has it's peaks. There is no valleys here. This music is hear for the ages and should be taken seriously. Many people who read this understand that John William Coltrane is a genius. The last few sentences taken from allmusic helps you guys out. Thanks and enjoy a classic.

John Coltrane is sometimes described as one of jazz's most influential musicians, but one is hard put to find followers who actually play in his style. Rather, he is influential by example, inspiring musicians to experiment, take chances, and devote themselves to their craft. The controversy about his work has never died down, but partially as a result, his name lives on and his recordings continue to remain available and to be reissued frequently.

3 comments:

  1. there used to be this hole in the wall record store in Nashua. it was garage with cases and i had been in a few times, but one time i went in and found a Coltrane album. it was Live at the Village Vanguard, 3 songs with Dolphy and i bought it for 9 bucks, i think. a few years ago i was talking with a kid that collected records and he priced this Coltrane album at $50. finding this whole thing on CD is not easy and i keep my eyes open for it.

    speaking of Dolphy, i have At the Five Spot Volumes 1 and 2 on CD with Booker Little on trumpet, that is some good stuff. nice pick, i'll keep my eyes out for this and some other live albums of his, i like Crescent a lot too.

    - Fizz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe it or not, I first listened to this set because Dolphy was on it! I'm really not a huge Coltrane fan but to these ears it is one of the very finest jazz recordings of the 1960's. Hate to say it but Dolphy sounds pretty unimaginative next to Coltrane. Ditto what fizz says- the Live at the 5 Spot records are also wonderful. I don't think they were ever properly assembled like the Vanguard recordings and some of my favorite stuff from those sessions is on the cd Here and There by Eric Dolphy. I became a Mal Waldron fan from listening to those albums!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I the only one who finds the purple lettering against a black background almost impossible to read? Matt, please fix it so I can keep reading your blog!

    I find the Village Vanguard sessions to be almost too much of a good thing. I have the box set with all of the recordings and it's a load. I like "A Love Supreme" the best of all Coltrane recordings (yeah, that makes me typical but I don't care...it's a masterpiece) and I have about 30 Coltrane albums, not to mention the material I have where he is a sideman (w/ Miles, Monk, etc.). His Atlantic and Prestige material seems to be overshadowed these days by his Impulse output. "Ole," "My Favorite Things" and "Giant Steps" and his very first album as a leader on Prestige are classics.

    I agree about Dolphy at the 5 Spot. He's one of my favorite sax players. I saw Mal Waldron some years ago and he played live a lot of the material he recorded with Dolphy. "Status Seeking" with Waldron/Dolphy was one of the first jazz tunes that really grabbed me way, way back in the day. Dolphy's tone is so human. It's like he's talking right to you.

    ReplyDelete