Monday, August 23, 2010

Eric and The Dominos Live!



The first time I heard Derek and The Dominos was when I bought the Eric Clapton Crossroads box set in 1989. I got the box set because my mother told me if I behaved in the mall I could get some music. It was also near my birthday so I asked if this could be a good behavior and a birthday present in one. She reluctantly agreed to it, and I purchased this great box set. This was in a long line of musical gifts for my birthday or just because I was a good boy. This lasted four years. There was so much there that I needed to listen to because I was unfamiliar with most of it. I knew a little about Cream. I had some knowledge on John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers. I knew few songs from Eric Clapton's solo career. The Yardbirds I had a cheap best of that was no longer then twenty minutes long. The Derek and the Dominos stuff I knew the song everybody knew and was played on the radio way to much. I needed to know more.

In 1990. I picked up the Derek and The Dominos box set and studied that for quite a while. The music on the Crossroads Box that I got in 1989 just teased about them. I picked up the Derek and the Dominos box set for a reason. One, I did not have the full album; and two I bought the box set because I wanted the two sessions CD's to hear how they made this wonderful and one off album. Since everybody knows the story of Derek and the Dominos I don't need to tell you the story. But for me the story stopped when at one point they studio and live album did not tell you more. One story I heard is the live album did not really give much of a document on the great music they played night after night. It is considered a great live recording from that era. I wanted to hear more.



My uncle told me that he saw them play and the songs on the LP was just a tip of the iceberg. He played all kinds of stuff. When I was doing my research for this post I saw that some shows had guest artist like Delaney Bramlett (Delaney and his wife did a bunch of albums and Eric Clapton played on a few),and some of the New York City shows had the other great guitar player on the album called Duane Allman. The live album my uncle had was great. I made a tape copy for the car and loved every minute of the extended jams and the wonderful guitar playing of Eric Clapton. It made me think that there should be more.

I got that wish in 1994 when I saw this 2CD set of Derek and the Dominos Live at the Fillmore. Once again I realized that there was so much magic that did happen at the Fillmore. I have plenty of Fillmore recording in my collection. Each has it's own great story. The magic that was created there tells me that I wish I could go back in time and be at some of these shows. The night Derek and The Dominos played must have been a great time. The best Eric Clapton showcased the blues is right here.



Looking for some great live album to hear how it once was? This is a wonderful addition to your collection. Eric and the rest of the band show how great they really could be. Yea, the Dominos only made one album, but that one album had all sorts of gems, but the real gem is the live music. Transport yourself to 1970 and really see that the music is something. "Let it Rain" is amazing and even more is the Hendrix's "Little Wing" and "Why Does Your Love Have To Be Sad." Everything is very good and classic Clapton. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment