Thursday, July 29, 2010

Sea, Cake in Nassau



When I went back to college I was looking for new music to listen to. I decided to go to the radio station and get that knowledge first hand. I heard music that I would not be normally exposed to. I also went to the local used record store and talked to people there. Eventually they knew me well enough that we can talk about all types and styles of music. Some of the people at the store told me about bands I don't remember hearing on my local stations back home. I took notes on what to listen to, after all I could more then likely hear them at the radio station and if I liked them, then I would pick them at the record store.

I really was open to many styles and genres of music. I remember doing my first show on the idea that I would devote half the show to bands or artists that people suggest. I trusted these people with their knowledge and welcomed it with open arms. In that time I got exposed to bands like Tortoise (which I knew very little at the time), Slowdive, Bright Eyes, Talk Talk and so many others. Most of the stuff I listened to had an attracted my attention in so many ways because of their unique sound. I grew to like all these bands and really appreciate the musical variety out there.



One semester I took a class on American Music. It was great class because we talked about Jazz, Blues, Rock and Roll and Classical. The teacher, like myself was a huge fan of Charles Ives. After class he and I would discuss Charles Ives at great length. It was fun, because each talked about artists that uniquely Americana. We did a segment on Miles Davis, Charles Ives, George Gershwin, Cole Porter, and many other American greats. After class I came up to the kid who talked about Miles Davis. I asked if he was a fan. He told me he was and had most of his collection. I asked him what he was missing, and in return I would make him a copy. He appreciated that and told me for my kindness he would give me a few things he liked listening to. Little did I know that he was friends with these two girls that I was friends with who I had great respect for. The next day he gave me the Miles Davis he was missing and gave me three CD's of music that I would like. It was a unique art project and design and me with my simple burned CD's I felt kind of bad just being simple. He told me just enjoy the music and if their is any band that I like on these CD's to let him know.

When I got back to my place one of my female friends who knew him recognized the artwork that came with the CD's. She commented that only one person could do that artwork and that would be him. His artwork was talked about in art class because it was uniquely different then the rest of the class who were doing art in the class. I found it fascinating and told my friend that he was in my music class. So we sat down and listened to these CD's. One of the bands was The Sea and Cake. Their unusual indie-rock and experimental sound was very fascinating. The next time I saw this classmate I asked if he had more The Sea and Cake. He told me had all five of their records up to this point. I really wanted to hear them all and maybe play them on my radio show one day.



Sea and Cake are a wonderful band that I thank my friend for introducing me to. They are quietly making a great name for themselves and are great quirky music and have a wonderful sound. As of this post they have a new album out in the fall and are touring with Broken Social Scene. If Indie rock sounds this good, then they are well done and defiantly something that should be checked out. I can suggest a few songs; such as "I Will Hold the Tea Bag" and "Nature Boy." Both are filled with wonderful hooks and great breaks. If this is something that sounds good to you then I suggest this one. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment